leaking front and rear mains mechanic says bad rod bearings???? help

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not I see this a lot with gas engines, especially older SBC, Buick ect. The bearings wear excessive which causes the crank to ovulate, it spins excessively fast then it will slightly move, it don't take much to open the lip on the seal. I cannot speak for a diesel engine cause I don't have experience rebuilding them yet. But it is true for gas motors. With that said, they all operate on the same principals of internal combustion, one uses sparkplugs, the other glow plugs. I think it is possible.

i can see this happening, chances might be slim but hey its an engine, and also agree that gas and diesel engines are the same, sure they might operate at different rpm levels but that is just stroke, both gas and diesel engine in most vehicvle today are 4 stroke engines, both go suck, bang, push, blow, and require the same things needed to run, fuel air, compression, and ignition

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would also agree to find another onpinion, i wouldnt trust some one that just looks at a leak and say your bearings are bad, if thats the case my engine is screwed

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one thing that has been forgotten. diesels have a tendency to "vibrate" themselves to death thanks to the compression pulses. on a high mile motor, it's guaranteed the seal surfaces are grooved and are in need of a new "surface" before a replacement seal is installed you'll find the part numbers for these seal "sleeves" in the "parts bin" you should install if you're putting in a new seal.

Attachments

• P1010749.JPG
    P1010749.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 31

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I agree with what towcat has just posted. Not installing a repair sleeve is asking to do the job again. I actually feel sleeves should have been installed from the get go. A wear sleeve is designed for just that. Wear but the part is saved. Whats more expensive. The sleeve or the part.. HMMM...:angel::D