Leak keeps coming back.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a return line kit on my injectors. Finally got them all to stop leaking, then take the truck today, and it started leaking on the two injectors closest to the cab.

This is after two days of chasing down leaks, using two different sets of o-rings. I lubed them with motor oil when I set the caps, I made sure the caps were seated, and I placed an extra o-ring on top of the caps to keep them from leaking.

I used new caps on these two. Anybody have any tricks or advice on getting this hokey crap to seal?

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like one of these two was cross threaded in the past. That may explain that injector's leak. The one on the driver's side however, just wanted to leak it seems.

Reaction score
I used the kit from typ4, complete with Viton o-rings. For install, I used petroleum jelly (lots) and the 'Zycam bottle trick'. Done this job twice (long story) and no leaks either time.

Mike

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zycam bottle trick? I assume push the caps down with said bottle?

At this point, I think I'm just going to replace all of the injectors, and use a new kit from Typ4.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Replacing the injecters is a good idea if they are worn out. How many miles are on them.. If you don't know then its best to replace them but know this. For the engine to run at its best you will need to time it. Finding a shop that can time these engines is impossible. Thats why I rent out timing meters. I want to do all I can to help members here keep their rigs running at the best pace they can. Please do not trust a shop that tells you they listen to how your engine is running for timing.. And then charge you for that. Hell call me and start up your engine. I'll tell you whatever you want to hear and you send me money..:eek:cookoo Actually I could never do that to anyone. Thats robbery right there plain and simple.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many miles are on the injectors. I intend to buy some injectors from Typ4 and rent a meter from you at the same time if possible.

Side thought, any way to test the IP to see if it needs attention?

Reaction score
Zycam bottle trick? I assume push the caps down with said bottle?

At this point, I think I'm just going to replace all of the injectors, and use a new kit from Typ4.

Kinda. Zycam bottles have a cover on the tip that fits perfectly over the end of the injector, ensuring you don't knick the o-ring during install.

Mike

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Complete new return line kit, sealed all but the injector line to cylinder 8, which is cracked, new one coming. Now injector 7 is leaking. Slowly, but surely.

Has anybody just given up on these leaks? I'm really getting irritated here.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Never give up on the leaks. They leak for a reason too. Fixing that reason sometimes gets to you but hang in there. Make sure you can hand tighten the hard line nuts down nearly to the end before using a 5/8 wrench on them. That insures they are not cross threaded on the soft injecter threads.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is after two days of chasing down leaks, using two different sets of o-rings. I lubed them with motor oil when I set the caps, I made sure the caps were seated, and I placed an extra o-ring on top of the caps to keep them from leaking.

I used new caps on these two. Anybody have any tricks or advice on getting this hokey crap to seal?

Oil is not a good lube for replaceing O'rings, Vasoline or grease is best. Always install the top ring first, then roll the bottom ring over it. Never put an extra O'ring on the top under the cap, it will not lock down/seat properly.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no extra o-rings under the cap. And I used Vaseline this time. I had to re do where an injector had cross threaded previously. This one is weeping from the top. I wonder if the thing for un seated.

When i get the new hardline for injector 8 I'll re do the o rings on injector 7 and we will see what happens.