Las Vegas waste veggie oil

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new to the diesel world, and I am loving my truck. it's a 1985 ford F250, but has an 1992 IDI non turbo in it. I am really considering going to waste veggie oil, and have seen a few videos about it. Is there anyone in vegas or surrounding area that is doing this to their truck? If so, help me out in this new adventure?

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really want a commercial unit that does the filtering, I want to create my own set up. I already have super large square water tub with the aluminum cage, and a few of 35 gallon drums, and some few misc pumps.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have some sources in mind for wvo??
Sometimes it can be hard to find.
Now I wouldn't be a true waste motor oil user without asking this one.:D
Have you considered WMO???
Not trying to change your mind, just curious.

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By brother inlaw runs a pressure washer buisness, and cleans many fast food joints , mostly KFC, and I have another buddy who just opened up a pizza joint.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW welcome to the world of diesel pickups, and the OB. Good to hear that you could get a good supply.
Since your in the Vegas area outside temp shouldn't be a big deal for you, which keeps the wvo flowing.
As far as your setup I would start simple & cheap, so if something happens you won't have a lot invested.
I would do some searching in this part of the OB and look at pics of what other people have done.
It sounds like you've already got a good start on the filtering side of things, I started with a barrel pump and a filter & housing.

WVO is a little more corrosive then other fuels. You might want to get a couple extra fuel filters, when you start using wvo will
clean out your fuel tanks, just in case.

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after reading tons of threads and watching you tube videos about the subject, I think that I rather go with a waste oil set up. it does look easier as an intro to this new . I already have over 50 gallons of oil to be processed. Also many people said that the idi's actually run better in a 50/50 mix.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I found out when reading about wvo, alot of people were taking it and processing it to biodiesel.
Which is way more work than it's worth, IMHO, not trying to offend anyone, but you can run wvo mixed.
MedicMoe you aren't seeing that process???

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not use or want to clean a centerfuge.
I can now say that I am on my 4th batch of 50 gallon batches on one set of ten micron filters.
Restriction meter not even close to it's limit.
I use a Parker Hydraulic filter cart to clean my W90.

Javier

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to run 50/50 in the rear tank and pump diesel in the front. I'm just not sure of cleaning the veggie oil, or adding the lye and methanol to the mix. It doesn't seems cost effective until a lot has been processed. I want simple and easy.

Last edited:

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you should have one drum to start the mixing, some kind of pump to transfer the mix to a
second drum to recieve it.
After/downstream the pump have a couple of filters & housings, to filter out all the bad stuff.
The lye and methanol is a big reason many just take wvo & kerro, throw it together, filter it, then run it.
I think some of the stuff your seeing is someone that has really expanded a hobby into a business, etc.
I hope I haven't confused things.