knock from manual trans..

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok after reading a few posts, i am leaning toward the flywheel going or being bad, was laying under the truck with it running and realized the loud knocky sound is coming from the trans.. it is a pretty dang loud knocky sound...truck still runs good and shifts good, but the noise of the knock makes it sound like poop.. so is it time for a new clutch kit? and will upgrading to the south bend smf kit be quieter? thanks..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See if the clutch inspection cover is pressed up against the flywheel. Look for thins like that first before investing $$$

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to see how much play there is between the two halves of your flywheel. I've read here that anything over 3/4" and its worn out. Mine was at 1" when I replaced it, but I did so more because I was going cross country with horses and didn't want to risk it. I have seen 1 3/8" play on a truck that sounded noisy but ok.

If you want to save money search "lucky mod" - just need a new clutch disk and sometimes not even that if yours already has springs in it.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
possibly a dumb question, how do i check the flywheel play? i have read on the lucky mod, doesn;'t sound ike something i want to do.. will replace with new clutch set through south bend if i need to replace..

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
possibly a dumb question, how do i check the flywheel play?

First, block the tires! Get a friend to help. Crawl under the truck and take off the inspection cover. Then have your helper/friend push in the clutch. Grab the part closest to the clutch (the part without the starter gear on it) and see if you can move it back and fourth. 3/4 of an inch or more indicates the SMF is *****.

Any clunk or thud when you turn the truck off? Werid vibrations, lurching at certain speeds without a change in the engine RPM?

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted above but I feel I should add one thing... When under the rig. And the wheels are blocked. Make sure the keys are in your pocket and not in the ignition switch. Anytime your touching something that truns you want to be sure nobody accidently starts any thing spinning. If you change from a dual mass to a single mass clutch flywheel set you will hear some noises from the trans because the dual mass stopped that gear rollover noise. Some really don't like the ger noise too. others don't care about it.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, i will have the wife push the clutch in and see what i find...
also i won't mind a little noise as long as i can get rid of the sickly knock ..

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bad injector or something wrong with the IP can cause a nock at the flywheel - if one is out of wack it'll send an uneven pulse enough to rattle even good flywheels. Any chance you could post a video of the sound?

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
baby moose and BB injectors with less than 2k miles on them so i should hope nothing wrong with them.. now the IP isn't timed i will say.. when we put it all in the guys timing meter wasn't working..

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
baby moose and BB injectors with less than 2k miles on them so i should hope nothing wrong with them.. now the IP isn't timed i will say.. when we put it all in the guys timing meter wasn't working..

Sorry, I didn't look at your signature.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it knocks the whole time running...idle, neutral the whole time as long as the flywheel and all is turning.. trying to turn it by hand to see if i can feel anything touching..
as far as i know this is a stock auto parts replacement type clutch so i would assume its a DMF.. is there a way to visually tell the difference by looking from under the truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online