Knapheide box keys?

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Knapheide box with no keys. It has a T-Handle that twists to open and a separate lock mechanism that just swings up to block the inner bar from moving.

The lock cylinder itself(inner body) has a "10" stamped into it, but there is no key code on the outside. Anyone have any ideas other than paying the local locksmith $25-35 to cut a key for it?

Maybe I can just go buy a new lock cylinder, looks pretty standard. Know where I can find them?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of it? Home Depot sells locks for mailboxes that could easily be adapted to work I bet.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A knapheide dealer will have a key, and a good locksmith only charged me 12 dollars for the first key.
And the new universal lock cylinders dont last.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Good idea, I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's pretty standard...you should be able to remove the bar and put it on the new key cylinder. IIRC I found key cylinders at an RV shop when I rekeyed my toolbox (this was a good 10+ years ago, though), and hardware stores should have them as well.

I would recommend rekeying as opposed to getting new keys for the existing cylinders. Who knows who may have the original key and might recognize the box. On the one hand, that lock's really only going to keep honest people honest, but IMHO may as well take whatever advantage you have, right?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try a 751 or a 561 RV key. How many do you want, got tons of them.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have a 751 key sitting here, but unfortunately it doesn't fit. According to the bit of literature I found on the Knapheide website, this "Series(?)" of key(10) is double-sided. I tend to believe it, since I can't get the key more than a little ways in. Managed to get a double-sided 601 key to go in, but not turn.

jjsteil

Reaction score
You need Knapheide part # 12245916 which is a #10 key. Visit this Knapheide distributor in your area which is:

PACIFIC TRUCK COLORS
19225 SW 125 CT
TUALATIN, OR 97062
p 503-692-7247

It should be less than what a lock smith will charge. If they don't have it in stock they should be able to get it in a couple days. Here's another option if you want to purchase on line from the Knapheide Truck Equipment Company:

http://shopktec.knapheide.com/parts.php?CatID=114

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online