Kerosene?

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok kerosene is cheaper than diesel is it ok to burn the kero in my truck? Ed

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Lucky you. Here it's more expensive. Kerosene is the same as diesel #1 (winterized fuel) and will gel at lower temps. HOWEVER the btu's per gallon are less than #2 which is why mileage is less when running #1.

Neat biodiesel [B100] has a BTU content of 121,000 BTU per gallon, compared to the average for No. 2 diesel fuel of 131,000 and 126,000 BTU per gallon for No. 1 diesel.

From Here

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Kero doesn't have the lubricating properties(less oil) than diesel, so you should be running some lubrication additive like Power service or Stanadine to keep your pump and injectors lubed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The fine is very costly but if its not red I'de run it too. A 20% or 40% savings of fuel costs will add up. Just don't fill it up where everyone can watch. Some old jealous busybody neighbor will turn you in just to see things happen.:popcorn

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here we have some kerosene that is taxed and some that isn't the way I see it. The real cheap stuff has the "non taxable use only/penalty fot taxable use" stickers. I haven't checked prices lately since I have been running mainly homebrew bio-D with #2 as an additive when needed.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so running kero will get you busted for tax evasion but you can run veggy oil as a fuel and no one cares? fuel is fuel isnt it? if it runs an engine its fuel, i guess i just dont understand our government.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have read, if you are running home brewed bio in a road vehicle, in order to be strictly legal, you are SUPPOSED to keep track of how much you use and pay Federal taxes on it. Same for State taxes - though some states give you an exemption from the tax on the first X number of gallons - some its 200, others its 400, but it varies state to state.

Are they going to come after you for it? Not likely - unless the busybody neighbor turns you in, and even then they aren't likely to do more than send you a letter "informing" you of the laws. However, if you're brewing it on your premisis, and the neighbor complains, you better make sure you are following all the local Haz Mat storage regs, fire codes, etc. - just in case you do get a visit from "THE MAN".

sassyrel

Reaction score
cheaper--no fed taxes--if---you are allowed 400 gal per qtr--3 months -------per each driving memeber of the household--so--if you have 4 members in the house--drivers===1200 gal--per qtr----its the state that is greedy----and most states have nothing in place to collect the taxes--they just assume you will willingly send them in for free-----------ummm

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
lucky you... here, deodorized K-1 is $4.00/gallon!

I use B20 in my salamander... less odor than de-odorized K1, and cheaper, too.

OR, #1, #2, K1, K2, JP88, all basically the same stuff... about the only thing that varies is the sulphur content, dye, anti-microbial and tax structure.

That's what I love most about diesel drivers... we'd run candle wax in these things if we could figure out how to keep it from gelling...

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Back in the early 70's (I'm old) I had a 4-51 GM diesel in a 53 Ford 1/2 ton PU. Ran it on stove oil for 7 years. Smoked too bad on #2 Diesel. In this area #1 diesel, stove oil, kerosene, and jet A come out of the same tank. Its all refined to the jet A spec which is the least sulphur and the only difference is the dye they put in it and the amount of tax they charge.

Jim

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Tax is the ticket! NC just passed a law and when the Govenar signs it will allow home producers of bioD to be tax free!!! but hey if you by taxed fuel and can prove you pay the tax, ie.. receipts, then i must be driving a hybrid... 40 - 50 mpg!!!!;Sweet

The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:

SECTION 1. G.S. 105-449.88 is amended by adding a new subdivision to
read:

105-449.88. Exemptions from the excise tax.
(9) Biodiesel that is produced by an individual for use in a private
passenger vehicle registered in that individual's name pursuant to
Chapter 20 of the General Statutes. For the purposes of this
subdivision, the term 'private passenger vehicle' has the same meaning
as in G.S. 20-4.01."

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Kerosene is bad since it is missing lubricity that has already been diminished from regular diesel fuel. Sure you can run it for a while but who knows when problems will arise due to low lubricity of the fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online