K&N for DTs

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
What do you guys think about a K&N filter to replace the stock paper filter and maybe some type of ducting to get more air to the intake? Would it make any difference? What do the tractor pull guys use?

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark,

I don't like messing around with the intake system on our trucks. Any leaking from some aftermarket set-up could cause significant engine damage. I'm not sure I trust anything like that.

Both my 7.3's have been upgraded to bigger Baldwin/Donaldson "DT" style air cleaners to get a bigger quantity of clean air in them. I could see going bigger (like from a bigger diesel truck), but not to an aftermarket filter.

I've never heard anyone say that our DT Baldwin/Donaldson air filters were restrictive in any way.
What you might want to look into is adding an intercooler set-up to yours to lower temps of your charge air if you were to do anything to your air system. ;)

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
As far a restrictions goes I was thinking of the way the air gets to the filter. The air has to make a few 90 degree turns before it gets to the filter. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference I was just curious if anyone had tried or thought of changing the ducting and filter setup.

Whit

Reaction score
I had a friends truck in my shop a few months ago that had the KN drop in filter in the OEM airbox, I pulled his hose and showed him a dust film inside, he now runs a NAPA 2790 BHAF, I think the dust was getting by the seal area since he didnt grease the edge :backoff

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. I just don't trust them.

Mark,

OK, I see what you mean. After I looked at mine, it seems like the air supply is pretty ample. I wonder if you have the same system I do, though?

navistar45

Reaction score
not suggesting you would screw up,but be careful as to what type of modifying [if any]that you do to the air intake system.few years back my friend had [has] a 1900 series with a 466,he drove through a low spot during a thunder storm ,[about 6 in of standing water] a little to quick,sucked up a bunch of water ,killed the engine.he had to replace a couple of rods. he had the single filter setup,and on the older trucks like the 1900,the fresh air intake is right at the grille.newer trucks like yours have a better setup to prevent such accidents.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I was thinking of something like a K&N too, but they didn't make one in that size. My air restriction gauge(filter minder) always goes half way up even after a new filter. I'm pretty sure it's in the channelling that goes thru the hood.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really?

Mine reads minimal on the gauge. I guess you couldn't have put your filter in backwards??? LOL

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'd see any gain. I hear the "ram-air" effect doesn't work until like 80 MPH.....

....then again, I COULD actually picture neverenufhp driving a bucket truck on the freeweay at 80 MPH!!! LOL

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
Duke,
I think we have the same channels in our hoods where the air hits the front grill and pushes past those rubber flaps then goes up into the top of the hood and then it makes a 90 degree angle into a larger chamber before the rubber boot that connects to the filter housing :confused: LOL . I count 4 times that the air makes a 90 before it hits the side of the filter.

My thinking was, because we are adding fuel and maybe more boost and considering larger turbos etc. that the airflow through the baffled hood channels might not be "optimal". More fuel =higher EGTs so we change some part of the equation to get more air in or exhaust out faster or we cool the air before combustion. A larger downpipe and less restricted exhaust and intake would help if it could be done. As far as the guy with dust in his intake goes, a little more oil on the filter and no dust(maybe) :D . It seems like any mod we do to these trucks has a potential to harm the motor.

Systems like Banks changes things from intake to tailpipe to get the optimal output from each portion of the kit, it just seems like there could be a bottleneck in the way our trucks get air. It's possible that our trucks get more air then we need. The pick-ups seem to have benefited from changing their intakes so I assumed that our trucks might also if a good and safe method could be found.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most definately! I agree with you. You just have to watch what products you buy.

No doubt better air supply will lower EGT's & improve performance.