just wondering

stiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an idea cookoo . i've seen guys spray just about anything in an aerosol can into their intakes during cold weather to get trucks or heavy equipment started. i want to try an experiment, unfortuneatly i haven't had cold starting issues. so i'm left to wonder, do you think if you took a hair dryer on high heat and blew it down the intake when you tryed starting a diesel motor it would fire up?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some warm air does help, I have started some cold diesels by heating the manifold and surrounding area with a hose from the rental car exhaust in Chicago. But I was also there once pouring ether, gas and trans fluid"for lubing"
into an 8v71 and it would not start with even a huge space heater warming it.. Turns out the main bearings were spun into the caps a quarter of an inch. coolant leaking into the oil over time stuck the bearings to the crank. The timing gears were just barely touching rings were litterally glued to the pistons. Not pretty.
russ

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yes heat will help I've used a heat gun before to start my stroke when the GPR took a crap before it dawned on me to just jump the terminals

Gary79F250

The Bawston Whalah
Reaction score
IMHO i prefer starting any diesel with heat, my favorite method is a propane torch in the intake. Also some larger diesels use an intake heater, Cat C series, the volvo marine series such as the TAMD, TAMS engines use an intake heater. best part I have never seen heat make a precup drop