Just joined the IDI club 1990 Ford F-250 7.3 International

squoril

Reaction score
never had a diesel before so i have a lot to learn

You must be registered for see images attach

heres the rough history of this truck

1990-1995 Ranch truck, pulling cattle trailers etc, im not too sure, i was 1 LOCATION: klamath falls

1995-2005ish used less, more highway driving, used for moving. LOCATION: sweet home

2005ish - 2010 no much use LOCATION: lapine (easter oregon very dry)

2010 - early 2014 mostly sitting probobly months on end between runs

and now ive got it and want it to last, only has 152K on it

changed the oil immediately it was ink and had not been changed in years, 11Qt of Delo 400 LE 15w-40 and the long motocraft powerstroke filter.

coolant looks good, nice and green but probly needs the SCA rebalanced this is what i need help on i keep hearing all these different things about it dca-4 dca-2 having to get test strips specifically for each type, premix vs additive, what should i do here? im assuming since i dont know whats in it i need to flush the system and refill with a known coolant and additive.

im a little overwhelemed with trying to get up to speed with everythign i need to be aware of, since were using it to haul stuff i need a quick lecture on what to do to not cause any more damage

TLDR: old truck, not been taken care of, want to fix this. SCA's what are they? how do they work? what do i go buy tomorrow to put in it?

also any questions, comments, things i should know, everything is welcome. I plan on hanging out here a lot.

thanks guys

-squoril

Last edited:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Welcome.

At 150k, you're due for new injectors and an injection pump. Not that your engine won't run just fine as it sits, but the life expectancy of the stock parts is basically up.

For coolant, just drain everything and fill it back up with Fleetguard. It's pre-charged with everything you need for SCA's.

squoril

Reaction score
ok, i will add that to the list

what happens if the injection pump goes out? just a sharp drop in power to 0 ;P

how much should i be looking to spend on parts? i was hearing $30 for new good quality injectors, ill be pretty busy this summer top of the list is pulling the engine in my subaru to do a bunch of maintinance ill flush the coolant in the truck first though.

also on shutoff the engine starts to shudder really hard as the RPMs drop to 0 is this just normal for a large diesel?

thanks for the quick reply :)

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello! nice looking truck! yea be to get the injection pump before you you install injectors , my trucks injection pump was losing prime and it was getting hard to start and that was at 108000 ,good luck

squoril

Reaction score
Right now it starts almost instantly and when it's warm it fires instantly

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If it fires right up hot or cold, then the usual symptoms of injection pump failure aren't present. You should be good for a while. With the shutdown though, your timing is probably off. User icanfixall rents timing meters, just send him a PM.

One last thing... if you do decide to replace the injection pump and injectors, please ask here first before you pull the trigger on any parts. There is a very small list of reputable builders with worthwhile parts. R+D Diesel, Conestoga Diesel, and just a few others.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your coolant.is ok,just needs sca.napa carries the sca. its called napacool. how did you get so much info on the trucks past?

squoril

Reaction score
It was my grandfathers, since I don't know what kind of coolant is in it now I was going to flush it and run fleetguard from now on

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Welcome, looks like another clean Oregon truck. Handful of Oregonians are the forum here.
Id recommend running Stanadyne or a similar additive in your fuel and you should be able to stretch the life of the injectors and IP.
I'll second just giving the coolant an SCA boost, pretty easy stuff. Add and run it until the test strip shows levels where tthey need to be.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...i was hearing $300 for new good quality injectors...)

Fixed it for ya. :)

If you don't have a way to pop test the new injectors, then buy them from Russ (typ4) on this site. He can do this for you before sending them to you. This ensures they are all popping at the same pressure, so when you set your timing, you only have to do it once (for a while). Get a new return line kit from him as well.

Rent the timing meter from icanfixall, install your new injectors, return kit, set your timing, enjoy. My truck went from 7mpg to 16mpg with new injectors from Russ and a good time.

squoril

Reaction score
Yea that sounds right, I was thinking $30 PER injector, just worded it funny

Last I checked I was getting 14 on the highway, going to the coast tomorrow with the quads so I'll see what I get towing

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I do rent timing meters to members here. also typ4 has a meter like mine. He is located in Oregon so he might be close by. PM him for details if you want some great information. As for changing any pumps or injectors you may want to run the truck for a time. See whats going on. If it starts easy hot or cold then these parts are ok for now. I'm not sure what the shutter is on shutdown. If it has a ZF5 speed manual trans that might be a dual mass flywheel beginning to fail.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Welcome. Good lookin pickup... Gotta love the big Rotax thumper as well ;Sweet

If it were me I would spend the time to re-seal the oil cooler. I say that because every one I've ever torn apart was on the brink of failure plus you're planning on changing the coolant anyway. It's a messy job but do-able in an afternoon. It will cost around $50 for the 4 o-rings and two gaskets. The cooler bolts to the driver side of the engine block and the oil filter threads on to the back of it. When they leak you mix coolant with engine oil and it creates a major headache. Something to think about anyway...

As others have mentioned read the hall of shame. Lots of people/businesses to avoid when it comes to IDI's.