Just joined and needing guidance on C6, ZF swap 88 F350

our2yaks

Reaction score
I bought a 88 F350, dually, 40K miles, 7.3 IDI and C6. This is my retirement truck project. I was hoping to be able use it for long distanance hauling and as the replacement for our Tacom with 340K who has seen better days. I want to swap the C6 with a ZF. I found a 96/97 with a 7.3 turbo and a trans with part number F6TA 7003 NA/parts list # 1317050003 (I think this is a s5-47) for $300. I have a few questions would the 47 bolt up to the 7.3IDI (sure it is covered in other threads but I could not seem to find it)? If it does not fit would the eng and trans assy from the 96/97 drop into my truck? Or do I just need to keep looking for a s5-42? Thanks for any Help

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will bolt up no problem. I have a 5s-47 my idi.

You will need a pedal assembly from a 87-91 manual truck. The clutch master and slave cylinder. Transmission hump cover.

Might be able to use the same crossmember. You will have to deal with the driveshaft. You will need a clutch set with flywheel. The clutch set will not swap over from the 96 model truck.

mbarry98

Reaction score
I'm doing the same swap from C6 to ZF and from what I've read from multiple threads on this is you shouldn't have to change drive shafts you just have to move the crossmember back to the next set of holes which are an inch back from the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have several sets of 87-91 manual pedal assemblies up for grabs.

our2yaks

Reaction score
It will bolt up no problem. I have a 5s-47 my idi.

You will need a pedal assembly from a 87-91 manual truck. The clutch master and slave cylinder. Transmission hump cover.

Might be able to use the same crossmember. You will have to deal with the driveshaft. You will need a clutch set with flywheel. The clutch set will not swap over from the 96 model truck.

I knew about the pedals and I think also about clutch/flywheel. The clutch and slave cylinder won't work?

our2yaks

Reaction score
Now the $300 question: is the 47 that much better than the 42 that it is worth having to get the other parts or just keep looking for a more compatible donor? Thanks again

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 47 is just as compatible as the 42.

Master and slave should work fine. Might have to have a hole redrilled.

The 2wd driveshaft will have a different end at the transmission. The c6 will have a slip yoke coming out and the zf has a solid yoke for a 1350 u-joint. There will need to be some work there,OR if your donor truck is the same cab/bed combo, you could swap the whole thing.

Last edited:

our2yaks

Reaction score
Hi IDIoit
I know this is from an old post when I was asking about a zf5-47 swap in my 88 f350. You mentioned "at the time" you had several sets of clutch/brake pedal assy. I haven't had any luck finding the year I need unless I want to buy another parts truck. If you still have a set what is your asking price? I live in northern NY (closer to Canada than the big NYC).
Thanks for any help

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got 1 left

I will have to look at its condition tomorrow.
I believe it has a heim conversion for the clutch.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome

Everything has been and is discussed thoroughly here at OB for this job a few times.

So far all I know of what you have is a brick nose dually....2wd...reg ex or crew cab unkown
So far all I know of what you have is a powerstroke truck w std trans....??? what cab and if 2 or 4x unkown

So...needed items

Speedo cable some how some way 97 is driven off tone ring in diff

X member and if 97 is 2 wd then the driveshaft and an adapter UJOINT...autos have smaller u joikts but...I do not know if dually is same as srw...u check I cannot

Trans tunnel cover and appropriate shifter and boots

STD Pedal assembly from brick nose

Clutch master slave and line

If going in for penny do the pound... @freebird01 Jason makes a firewall reinforcement plate to eliminate flex..get one and install it! NOW is the time to do the plate...trust me I know these things...

Flywheel and clutch....can get a good SMF KIT or if you like DMF read $pendy get one.

The biggest issue I see for your S47 is lack of speedo drive

JM7.3CW Eh!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online