Just had my rear main seal replaced,

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That looks like one of the holders for your injector lines. Make sure that they're all there to avoid future problems.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had ordered a new set because a mechanic had lost one, that’s probably is it!! Lol, amazing the tools and parts these trucks can hide. Found a few sockets in random places and even a wrench, that valley pan is probably hiding more stuff

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear main is leaking, shop verified it. Looks like the owner will be directly involved in the installation of a new seal, think a repair sleeve was mentioned.

You must be registered for see images attach
And I noticed some oil on the back of my drivers side head, wiped my finger on it and doesn’t smell like antifreeze thankfully.

Here are a few pics,

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My last oil analysis just a few hundred miles ago had no anomalies except for slightly higher traces of lead.

Ill look at that area all around there to see if I can locate the source exactly,

For peace of mind might do a pressure test to

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I go back to the shop Monday I’ll ask them what they think to. Pressure test would be a good idea I suppose

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or it’s just liquid that’s drained from the intake valley, Hopefully not a hg

Seems like most of these idi’s will do that at some point with the original headgaskets. Very common. Mine seeped both coolant and oil for years at same locations (rear drivers/passenger side cylinder head) They never really blew out, just seeped all the time. I’m sure they would have if I ran a turbo on it.
A new set of Felpro gaskets will eliminate that from happening again.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Said I’d update this thread once the issue was resolved.

The shop installed a Motorcraft rear main seal and the owner installed it himself, it’s dry as a bone now after a few days of driving it. It was warrenteed, they also cleaned up my T19 and it’s no longer as “wet” looking

Realized my CDR was shot and replaced it with a new Motorcraft one. I reused the OE pedestal because I didn’t like the rubber one it came with.... I’m wondering if some of the sludgy looking oil weeping from the rear of my diver’s side head was from that bad CDR passing to much oil to the rear cylinders (causing more heat?) casing the head to lift some?

Either way I’ll deal with that once it actually becomes a real problem, oil analysis will be that indicator.

Ultimately it’s still cheaper maintaining the old truck vs a new Superduty truck payment, and the old trucks are lot more fun to own

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I doubt if a little bit of extra oil in your cylinders would cause the heads to lift. This is usually caused by overheating the coolant inside the engine causing it to turn to steam, which has more pressure that hot liquid. I'm glad to hear that the shop took such good care of you. If it was me, I'd be recommending them to my friends. I DEFINITELY have to agree with you on the older VS. newer truck idea.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt if a little bit of extra oil in your cylinders would cause the heads to lift. This is usually caused by overheating the coolant inside the engine causing it to turn to steam, which has more pressure that hot liquid. I'm glad to hear that the shop took such good care of you. If it was me, I'd be recommending them to my friends. I DEFINITELY have to agree with you on the older VS. newer truck idea.
I definitely am recommending them, they’re an excellent bunch. Thanks for clarifying that HG item.
And am learning a lot from you guys and really enjoying being a part of the oilburners community, we have a certain comradery you don’t see to often on a forum.
Glad you got that leak squared away, gotta love these ol trucks!

Ain’t that the truth, thanks!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online