Just bought a 97 3500 6.5l

rocklefty19

Reaction score
New truck for me its a bone stock 97 3500 4x4 6.5l diesel. I want a little more power this truck is strickly for pulling. just some ideas would be appreciated and what to look for in the truck and also it only gets to about 170 while driving is that normal?

chevytrucks

Diesel Ridge Runner
Reaction score
New Truck

I've had 3 - 6.5 TD over the years and currently have the 94 which I bought and a 94 project truck that's in progress.The 94 that I bought new has every add on possible without going into the engine. There's only so much that can be done and don't expect miracles with the investments.
1- Put a mandrel bent turbo down pipe and get a boost gauge since your towing
and if your comfortable don't use the cat converter-you can buy extension to fill the space.
2-Look into a towing chip for the ecm, Bully dog system are suppose to be a Maxer also heath, SSDiesel and there are more but take caution with some - the cost are extreme.
3- Air Intake system. SSDiesel has a good solid product line.
There are a couple of other items but I think it is a good starting point-one thing at a time. Know your truck-the 6.5s have inherent problems with no starts which a IP driver extension mount will solve some of the heat issues.

The best
Michael
New truck for me its a bone stock 97 3500 4x4 6.5l diesel. I want a little more power this truck is strickly for pulling. just some ideas would be appreciated and what to look for in the truck and also it only gets to about 170 while driving is that normal?

rocklefty19

Reaction score
ok, I have seen the ECM's from Heath and SSdiesel my truck already has the relocation kit for the injection pump driver it was put on less than 1k miles when i bought the truck. What about the injectors from SSdiesel supply? are they any good? I was thinking ECM from SSdiesel along with their injectors, air intake, and exhaust and cross over pipe and the #9 resistor. My truck will be pulling an enclosed trailer with racecar and parts only I want drivable reliable power i dont care about top speed just a little more grunt.

chevytrucks

Diesel Ridge Runner
Reaction score
Re: Chevy Diesel Truck

Stay away from the #9 resistor unless you have the tech ability to a determine if it's appropriate or you will cause damage!
1- A mandrel Downpipe and 3 or 4 inch exhaust, as far as most are concerned 4" have no advantages over 3'. I have 4's and will buy 3's next time-buy stainless not aluminium!
2- The only type of injectors to buy or Bosch - rebuilt. The best price, quality and service is the diesel store and check out usdiesel has alot of options,
http://www.thedieselstore.com/template/productOutput.php?partNum=M02NA56X&VehNum=
or http://www.usdieselparts.com/index.cfm/category/91/chevy-65l-turbo-diesel-parts.cfm

3- ecm etc talk to usdiesel and Kennedy diesel he sells bullydog the best.................................
ok, I have seen the ECM's from Heath and SSdiesel my truck already has the relocation kit for the injection pump driver it was put on less than 1k miles when i bought the truck. What about the injectors from SSdiesel supply? are they any good? I was thinking ECM from SSdiesel along with their injectors, air intake, and exhaust and cross over pipe and the #9 resistor. My truck will be pulling an enclosed trailer with racecar and parts only I want drivable reliable power i dont care about top speed just a little more grunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online