Just bought a 7.3 IDI. Questions/Details

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I agree with whats posted above. A tach sender is whats in the housing near the oil fill tube. Changing oil is a dirty job. I use rubber gloves to keep the oil thats filled with soot from blowby off my hands. Its a tuff job cleaning your hands when that dirty oil gets on them. I usually will wash many pots, pans and dishes to clean my hands if dirty oil gets on them. I use Chevron delo 15W40 oil. Just be sure to use a diesel engine motor oil. Not the gas engine motor oil.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the tach sensor is leaking oil, there should be an O'ring on it, may be just hard from heat, just replace it and clean any metal from the end of it while you have it out, that's needed for the operation of the E4OD tranny. You can change/flush the trans. like this, the large oil change pan will hold all the old oil, even the engine oil.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?29296-Flushing-a-E4OD-or-4R100

For a mechanic to change the trans oil, cost is going to be I bet $125 to $150. Make sure the trans oil is Mercon V or Mercon/Dexron V or any Trans Synthetic oil is good. NEVER over fill the Trans, always check level HOT with engine running and in park.

This is where the trans Aux cooler is located, the one left of the horns.

Attachments

• top side creeper3.jpg
    top side creeper3.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 21

jwillvin

Reaction score
Well, I took it to the Ford dealership to have the oil and filter changed. I requested that they use the fl 1995 filter and they said they would. 2 hours and $125 later (ouch) I was out of there. I need to find a good reputable diesel mechanic around here who will let me watch as they work on my truck so that I can learn to do it myself. The only upside is that my truck attracted quite alot of attention from the mechanics at the dealership. The lead diesel tech approached me just to tell me that the truck is one if the nicest early 90's trucks that he's seen in some time and that it looks to be very well taken care of mechanically . Everything checked out good and maybe he was just talking talk but he actually came from the back to tell me. Thanks for the replies guys!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Changing oil is easy once you have done it our watched someone do it. Its done with the engine wramed up. Its best if you have the filter wrench so its easier to unscrew the old filter. Lots of dirty oil will drip off the old filter because the oil cooler is draining oil . Once thats finished draining remove the filter and rest it in the drain pan. Then remove the the oil pan drain plug being sure to keep ahold of it. It will have a gasket that usually needs to be replaced but some reuse them several times. I look the gasket over very well because if its cracked or bad you will have a drip till you change oil again. So after the oil has drained out clean off the plug. Check the magnet for metal. Replace the gasket and replace the plug. Make sure it about the same tightness as before. Some prefill the oil filter with new oil. Some don't bother. Just do not fill it all the way or its going to pour out when you try to install it. Make sure some oil is spread on the filter gasket. Hand tighten it and then turn it another 3/4 turn. Now fill the engine with the required amount of new oil. Usually 10 more quarts with the fl 1995 filter. Start the engine and check the filter for leaks.. Find none and your done. Carefully remove the oil drain pan and leave the filter upside down draining into the dirty oil pan. Not much more to say but its a dirty job most of the time. If any dirty oil gets on your driveway or your clothes it never comes off. The soot is black and stays on everything.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I like to use a punch or screw driver to make a hole in the bottom of the old filter so it'll drain down.
Little less mess anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7