Just another Dana 60 axle swap thread

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Except this one's going in the REAR. :sly

The 3.73 open rear diff (drum brake) in my E250 conversion van is toast from last summer's trip to Washington, so this 4.10 LS disc rear is soon going to take it's place. I am hoping the ratio change breathes some new umph into the 5.4 triton beast.

Although the hum-along-with-the-rear-end game my kid plays in the back of the van will be no longer possible. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except this one's going in the REAR. :sly

The 3.73 open rear diff (drum brake) in my E250 conversion van is toast from last summer's trip to Washington, so this 4.10 LS disc rear is soon going to take it's place. I am hoping the ratio change breathes some new umph into the 5.4 triton beast.

Although the hum-along-with-the-rear-end game my kid plays in the back of the van will be no longer possible. :D

-Drool

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
This weekend's enjoyment. Out with the old and in with the new.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
So they sold a E250 with a semi floater? Ugh only gassers.. so what did the other axle come from?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Even an E350 came with a semi-float on the regular body. Only extended body and diesel vans got the full floater. Cutting corners everywhere possible...

The full floater came from a 2000 diesel ambulance.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My former work van was an 09 E350 extended length and has a semi-float rear. Sticker on the door was 9200 gvwr. Held up pretty good with 3 pallets and 500 gallons of water that I delivered.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuffing more gear into your rig will definitely help with regards to low end. And ditto on the "cutting corners" deal with the work vans. We had a bunch of folks who tried to use 3/4 ton work vans for portable hose doctor mobile service use. Put a two inch hydraulic crimper, a bunch of hose, fittings a couple pails of hydraulic oil, and you could just about set your watch for an "every wearable brake part" about every other month, and a rear axle about once a year.

How times change: we all cry and moan about the 3/4 ton TTB front axle that the 80's and 90's F250s got, but in all reality, you really couldn't call any of the old 3/4 ton running gear "weak". When you tell me that you don't get a full floater rear axle in a one ton van, the only word that comes to mind is "weak".

Nice upgrade: making up for the factory shortcomings on your rig ;Sweet

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 95 e350 with full floater dana 60. Gas 351 and regular not extended van. Is this a unicorn?

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
More pictures to come this weekend, folks. Replaced all of the brake components (hoses, remaned calipers, pads) Resealed the diff cover, ready to add 3 and a scosh quarts of Amsoil 75W140 synthetic gear lube (most expensive part of this project, except buying the axle) :roll eyes:

I couldn't find new u-bolts anywhere locally, so I bought online from sdtrucksprings.com, I have had good experience with them in the past. They were an odd size (5/8"x 3 5/8" x 8 1/2") that no one around here had. So this, and catching the plague (flu), and the rear brake disasters on my blue truck has stopped me until next week.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I had 95 e350 with full floater dana 60. Gas 351 and regular not extended van. Is this a unicorn?

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk

Probably special order. I did some research and found out the full floater was a $300 option. Made me mad at the company who did the conversion on my van... cheap ********!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...theres an old Amb locally in a guys yard, doing jack, Imma gonna goa seea ifa hea wanna sella thea diffa ...if it's in there...Hmm 8 Bolt disk stock...maybe if lucky!

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
One could graft a van axle under the truck if you were interested in relocating the spring perches and shock mounts. Otherwise moving over the disc components seems like big pain as none of the dana stuff (spindles, axle shafts, etc) is compatible with the sterling components.
I thought about doing this to get disc brakes on my truck but gave up the idea. Of course kits are sold to replace the drum gear on a sterling axle, could go that route.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I would if I got the rear diff likely save it for a REAR shackle flip kit and re position the perches and shock mounts then, so I would have a nice completed setup and not worry about pinion angles etc. Make life simpler or least I think so.

Just thinking out loud here actually seeing as it's passed almost daily by me....LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online