Dana 60 swap options

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Hey guys- been away a while, busy building a career and getting married again and moving and the list goes on. My trusty F250 has been treating me well, the little bit I drive it anyway. I did use it to haul my rockcrawler up from Vegas to Carson City when I moved last fall, and it’s pretty much been parked since. I battled a little overheating on that trip, which should be solved when my new custom radiator arrives later this week.

I’ve been on the hunt for a D60 for quite some time, and finally came across a good deal on a pair of F/R 1989 F350 axles out in Elko last month. The front came still bolted to the springs and the front frame section, so I have all the parts for a factory swap. Of course they’re 3.55 and I need 4.10, so I’ll sell the rear Sterling and regear the front. I’ve already got everything I need to rebuild the front axle except wheel bearings, which are cheap and easy to find.

I’ve been researching my options for installing the axle and thought I’d ask those that have completed this conversion a few questions.

1. Being that I have ALL the factory suspension, is there a good reason not to put in new bushings and run it?

2. Those that have completed a RSK, who’s kit do you prefer? Run stock OBS springs or the SD V codes? Major ride quality differences between my current TTB, OBS D60 suspension, RSK/OBS springs, and RSK/SD Vcodes?

3. Where to source SD V codes?

4. How much height will I gain? My primary use is for towing, and I don’t care about running 37’s. I have a add a leaf on my TTB currently, and am on 285’s. I intend to keep my factory Alcoa’s.

5. Stock or aftermarket adjustable track bar?

Any and all input is appreciated. Photos and links are even better.

Thanks,

Ryan

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unloading

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Being that I have ALL the factory suspension, is there a good reason not to put in new bushings and run it?
I can't think of a reason not to, it'll never be any easier to work on than it is right now

4. How much height will I gain? My primary use is for towing, and I don’t care about running 37’s. I have a add a leaf on my TTB currently, and am on 285’s. I intend to keep my factory Alcoa’s.
With your add-a-leaf I don't know how much different it'll be, but going from a stock TTB to a stock D60 setup, you're looking at about 1.5-2 inches of lift up front, and 2 inches in the back from the F-350 spring blocks (if you keep the F-250 blocks, it'll be very close to level).

I don't have the answers for your other questions, I didn't do an RSK or SD springs when I had my D60 put in, so I'm basically running a stock F-350. Make sure you get all the small parts before you dive in, like the driver side U-bolt plate, the front yoke off the transfer case, the front driveshaft, the pitman arm, and the rear spring blocks (optional, but nice to have).

I've heard doing an RSK + SD spring swap is the way to go for ultimate ride quality, but I've been quite happy with the ride from the stock F-350 setup. Maybe it's because my old TTB had poly bushings in the leaf springs, but the ride quality with that axle was absolutely terrible. The D60 setup feels stiffer going over speedbumps but the rest of the time it feels noticeably smoother than the old TTB setup did.