Joined the ranks of the turbo charged

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's how I did mine. Kinda hard to get a good picture in there but;
I took a piece of 1" pipe, about 6" long, and cut one end off at a 45. Then made a hole in the down pipe, and welded the tubing in at 45 degrees, with the tip protruding about 1/2" into the inside of the down pipe. The 45 degree cut on the end of the pipe is thus parallel to the walls of the down pipe.
I found where someone had posted the instructions for a Mr. Gasket crankcase ventilation system (like the drag race guys use), and followed the specs.
You must be registered for see images attach

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And for those who are curious about the Banks style adapter; I used the stock IP front cover as a template to cut a piece of 1/4" aluminum, then tapped a 1"NPT hole in the middle of it, screwed in a brass 90 (being careful of how far it protruded on the backside), and ran 1" tubing back to the bung that I welded in the downpipe.

"Turbo"

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Yeah, Formerly N/A like myself.

I keep a pillow around for laying on the trucks, but when I did the heads in the truck on my 93 my ribs were really sore.

On both of mine I had the turbo on and off a few times before getting it all together just right. Once they were on and running I didn't have to pull them but yeah, it's a beeeeeaaaatch while your doing it but sure provides lots of reward.;Sweet

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little update after putting a few miles on her; took a nice 400 mile trip to go camping this Father's day weekend with the 5er in tow.
After the turbo went in, I did an initial hour or so of driving the 5er around to check the EGT's, and I could run it right up to 1100 degrees pretty easily. So I turned the pump down one flat (now it's only turned up 1 flat from where it was when it was NA), loaded the family and trailer up and headed out.
To start, my previous trailer hauling was done with 33" tires; It's now sitting on 35's. My trailer is 31' long, and weighs in at about 10k pounds, so I'm just under 18k gross by the time I load up the family, dog, bicycles, firewood, etc.
Before the turbo, I couldn't hold 3rd gear on the steeper hills, which meant 3000rpm in 2nd gear which netted about 30 mph.....painful
After the turbo, it can now hold 3rd gear, which means 3000rpm in 3rd (remember the bigger tires, too) = 50 mph.
I saw about 9 psi of boost and the EGT's only crept past 1000 on one occasion. Coolant temp never went above 200. And it just sounds awesome hearing the turbo whine. It got just above 10mpg on the trip - although I was definitely not going for mileage. Did I mention I like hearing the turbo whine?
For the most part, I was going just slightly slower everywhere than I would have unloaded. Made the whole trip way easier and less stressful than before the turbo.
My previous truck was a 97 PSD that was bone stock, same size tires, but with an auto and 3.55 gears, and it towed the same 5er up the same hills at the same speeds.
So my conclusion; on a daily driver, a turbo isn't going to really get used a whole lot, but if you're towing heavy fairly often, I'd almost call it a necessity.