Jerking with a cloud of white smoke

RenoF250

Reaction score
I decided to start messing with the harness when it is running and found that I can make it stumble pretty bad by messing with the ICP connector. If I push it in and out it will almost die.

I guess I will have to change the connector, does anyone sell just the connector?

If the engine can run with the ICP disconnected why does it have such a problem when the connection is bad?

RenoF250

Reaction score
Replaced the ICP sensor connector and now it will not do it when I jiggle the wires but it did miss again later while driving so the problem persists.

I finally scanned it and found a intermittent CPS code. I cleared them all and ran the perdels test while pushing on the wire with a paint stick. Nothing exciting to see other than that all numbers were 0 until the engine warmed up, then I think 8 topped out around 2.6%

RenoF250

Reaction score
That will be tough to find as it is intermittent. I have noticed that so far it seems to do it ~30 minutes after starting and only does it once per warmup.

Seems to match many of the symptoms I have read from other having CPS problems. Mine just has not quit at idle yet.

RenoF250

Reaction score
I drove the truck into town today with the AE plugged in watch the PERDELs and it did have the problem again and now reaction on AE.

The interesting thing is, I was starting to realize every time it has had a problem it has been ~30 minutes are start from cold. I was taking the same route I had a problem in the past and sure enough it did it again in almost exactly the same place.

What is going on with the engine about 30 minutes after startup??

RenoF250

Reaction score
Have you tried driving harder/pulling a load to see if the problem arises quicker?

It does not seem to. I have not taken the same route with a load and without but when I was pulling a load it seemed to be about the same time. Outdoor temp does not seem to have a great effect either.

Coming back home it did it in the same place as going. That spot is right near a cell tower. It is not in the middle but the truck was obviously already warmed up some.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You gonna buy new or do the "rebuild kit??"

May even loosen the fuel cap when it does it to see if it's got a vacuum or anything.

Might even unplug the fuel heater.

RenoF250

Reaction score
You gonna buy new or do the "rebuild kit??"

May even loosen the fuel cap when it does it to see if it's got a vacuum or anything.

Might even unplug the fuel heater.

I don't think so, I am concerned their is a problem with the electronic portion. I do not suspect the fuel cap since it goes right back to running fine. Also had a pressure gauge on the fuel and it was unaffected.

When does the fuel heater turn off?

I will probably run it again with the AE monitoring HPOP pressure and see what that says. If that indicates IPR problem then I will replace. I'll also have the radio on so I can see if it turns off indicating the ignition was shorted.

RenoF250

Reaction score
This thing is going to make me crazy. I drove back to the same area this time monitoring ICP pressure and duty cycle. Even though I took a longer route to drop off my son's friend it did it at exactly the same place. When it did it the ICP pressure dropped to near 0. Unfortunately I was not smart enough to record it so I do not have it saved. The interesting part is I got off the off-ramp and it did it at the same place going the other direction. It really seems to be limited to that spot now. It has not done it anywhere else for quite some time.:mad:

RenoF250

Reaction score
Went back through the area with the ICP unplugged today, it did not do it either direction. Plugged the ICP in and it did it again. I also did it in a different area right when I passed a truck, I was on the phone at the time and the guy I was talking to said I cut out at the same time. Perhaps the guy in the truck had a powerful radio. Anyhow, I ordered a Ford ICP sensor (I have a Napa in it now) hopefully the Ford will fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle