Jerking with a cloud of white smoke

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he has two problems, ICP and FPR. Keep running it like that and he'll damage the injectors.

RenoF250

Reaction score
Okay FPR done. Pressure is much higher now but I do not trust the sender that is on there. I bought the billet cover and used the high pressure black spring. Runs fine but it has been running fine without a load. Need to get a load on it and see how it does.

RenoF250

Reaction score
You say it's higher, but what is it at now?

Not sure. I have a VDO pressure sender on it that I was reading with an ohmmeter. I calibrated the sender with air before I installed it. If that is still accurate (and I don't think it is) it is only ~40psi. It went from 50 ohms to 80 ohms at idle. But I had written down that it was ~100 ohms when I installed it. I do not trust that the sender has not changed. Looking for a real gauge.

RenoF250

Reaction score
Well the ICP, and CPS have been replaced and the FPR has been rebuilt with the high pressure spring but it still seems to have a problem. Friday I was driving ~65mph on flat ground, no load, ~70F out and it died for a second when turning left. I was waiting in the left turn lane and it took off and then died and then took off again. Sure glad it did not leave me there in the middle of the road.

This morning I looked the engine over and checked connectors to make sure they were on tight and looked over the wires for mouse damage. I did not see anything except this unconnected ground. I assume I forgot to reconnect when I changed the UVCHs. Where does it go? The one end is connected to the upper front bolt of the DS intake manifold and it is ~14" long 10 gauge with a 5/16" ring terminal on the unconnected end.

Attachments

• Ground wire.JPG
    Ground wire.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 39

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With your mileage whens the last time,if ever,were the injector orings replaced?a 99-03 psd should not be throwing low icp codes unless youre running HUGE injectors or seriously hot programs.

RenoF250

Reaction score
With your mileage whens the last time,if ever,were the injector orings replaced?a 99-03 psd should not be throwing low icp codes unless youre running HUGE injectors or seriously hot programs.

The injectors have not been touched but how could they be intermittent and cause this problem all at once?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is indeed orings youve been having symptoms for awile but never noticed them till now when its getting ready to leave you walking.

Low icp codes were your first symptoms.Drop in fuel mileage,shakey idle,slight skip here and there,hot starts getting harder and harder,skipping under load,some symptoms get worse the hotter it gets.

Unfortunately its not as easy to diagnose as the obs is since you have a dead headed fuel system.you will need to pop the valve covers off and watch for oil bubbling up under the injector hold down clamps.

Or drive around with a scanner hooked to it but you need to know and understand what all the readings are and whatt they should be.

RenoF250

Reaction score
I am trying to locate my scanner, once I get that we will see what it has to say. The low ICP codes started long ago when I installed the DP Tuner and DP says it can happen, it only happens when I am ******* it a long time.

I cannot say I have noticed the other symptoms but I will pay better attention in the future.

Mileage has been ~15 and the best it has gotten is 18.5. I have been driving it hard though trying to make it have problems so that is tough on mpgs.

Still how do they manage to cause problems like this? They would all have to fail at the same time. I understand they have all seen the same miles but for them to just poop out altogether at the same time seems quite odd.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
check the 42 pin connector on the dr side of the motor, make shure the wires arent rubbed through on the valve cover

RenoF250

Reaction score
check the 42 pin connector on the dr side of the motor, make shure the wires arent rubbed through on the valve cover

I checked them and did not see any holes in the insulation. There was some spots worn through on the valve cover though which is suspicious. I blew the wires off and wrapped them with electrical tape.

Any similar areas I should check? I looked most of the wires over for mouse damage already.