It's the little things I swear...

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are prolly dumb questions, but it's been months since I've seen this work.

First question - From the starter solenoid, is it a 10 gauge wire that runs down to the starter?

Second question - For the guys with manuals, how far will the throttle linkage move with the cable hooked up? I've got about an inch and a half...

thanks

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
first question - No, i think the cable running down to the starter is more like 6ga or even 4ga.

second question - no idea... :confused:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Nice, heavy, fine stranded wire is what your looking for.

Definately don't run to home depot and get THHN or anything like that.

FYI- the fine stranded stuff tends to conduct better than the heavy stuff, and the flexability will keep it from breaking.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
FYI- the fine stranded stuff tends to conduct better than the heavy stuff,
I hear this rumor relayed all the time and it is incorrect. That only applies to AC circuits. In a DC circuit it makes zero difference. THe heavier wire made for automotive use generally holds up better over the long run.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
well,The finer strange per the physics of electricity will flow more and take more wattage since the electrons only pass down the wires on the outside.Smaller the strands in equal size bundle will have more surface area.But the trade off is the smaller strands don't stand up as well to constant vibration and weather much faster than the thick stranded stuff when used in automotive applications.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
well,The finer strange per the physics of electricity will flow more and take more wattage since the electrons only pass down the wires on the outside.Smaller the strands in equal size bundle will have more surface area.But the trade off is the smaller strands don't stand up as well to constant vibration and weather much faster than the thick stranded stuff when used in automotive applications.

As I said, this is only true in AC circuits where the current is constantly changing directions. THis is why welding cable is made with fine stranded wire since many welders are AC . But in a DC circuit where the current remains saturated throughout the wire, there is zero skin effect. There is plenty of material out there covering the subject. For a DC circuit , a skin effect simply doesn't exist. Problem is there have been a number of articles on audio cables that have been reproduced over and over that everyone point to that have a habit of not relating to the appropriate circuits.

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
Nightshade: The red wire from starter relay to starter motor and solenoid is 12 AWG. The red wire from RH battery to starter motor and solenoid is 2/0. This info for 1988 model year.

Freight Train: The electrons flow thru the entire cross section of the wire. So stranded wires, or wires with finer strands don't carry any more current (take more wattage, as you say) than solid wire of the same total cross section. The "skin effect" is an AC phenomenon. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

Regards,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online