Is whats left of this F350 worth $550

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy who owns this truck bought it for the axles. Truck supposedly has 300K, he has no clue on the maintenance history. The truck blew a headgasket supposedly. He thinks it has 300K on it, its a NA 7.3, ZF 5 speed, and 1356 tcase. He is going to lug it 120 miles (along his way to someplace)to meet me someplace to drag this off his trailer onto mine. He orig. was selling the motor/trans/tcase for $400, I was going to buy the trans only for $100, but got lured into buying the remnants of the truck. More or less, what I wont be getting is the seat, axles, tires, and bed. I talked him down from $700 for the whole truck to $550 with 120 miles of deliver, so this is the cheapest i can get this particular truck for. Let me know what you think.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
if the parts can be used on your own truck i would say definatly do it!!! rads are like $400, and those tanks are over $300.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Im up to my neck in a zf swap with parts from all over the country and I hav 1400 in it so far. I would do that in a heart beat. even if half of it is scrap, that much weight in scrap is at least 200 dollars.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep a 4x4 Zf that works(doesn't need overhaul) is worth that by itself. So...does it work? That motor might have just a blown head gasket but it might also have the big C hard to say.

tractorman86

Reaction score
definately do it as fast as you can, dont let him change his mind!!! just the engine core is about that much!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering that it's a OBS truck, the sheetmetal is worth it. if you have access to a flatbed carrier without paying a arm and a leg, do it. I would be all over that deal if it was closer to me.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
just my "running" 6.9 was $900, i had to rebuild it anyhow. :mad: plus the t-19 was $500. it's worth it for the motor and trans.

-Jon

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing that worries me is I am primarily buying this truck for the transmission. There is no way to test if the transmission is good or not, the motor did not run when the kid bought it, and he didnt care about that stuff anyways. If the trans needs a rebuild, I am back to square one in the saving money department. There are a few goodies left on her that I would like to use in my truck. I can do the same thing this guy did, and another guy did, buy a truck with a hurt motor for next to nothing, take the axles out, and sell off the rest of the truck to make the axles free, so I am taking a chance by trying to save a dollar.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing that worries me is I am primarily buying this truck for the transmission. There is no way to test if the transmission is good or not, the motor did not run when the kid bought it, and he didnt care about that stuff anyways. If the trans needs a rebuild, I am back to square one in the saving money department. There are a few goodies left on her that I would like to use in my truck. I can do the same thing this guy did, and another guy did, buy a truck with a hurt motor for next to nothing, take the axles out, and sell off the rest of the truck to make the axles free, so I am taking a chance by trying to save a dollar.
there are no guarantees in life other than death and taxes.
if you can afford to buy this, look at the big picture.....the parts that you can use justifies the buy-in. heck, even the sheetmetal is the same color as your current truck. there's no doubt about it, it's a gamble if you're going to get a **** for a trans or not. but if you look at everything else you're getting, it's worth the gamble to me.

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are no guarantees in life other than death and taxes.
if you can afford to buy this, look at the big picture.....the parts that you can use justifies the buy-in. heck, even the sheetmetal is the same color as your current truck. there's no doubt about it, it's a gamble if you're going to get a **** for a trans or not. but if you look at everything else you're getting, it's worth the gamble to me.
True, thats why immediatly after posting(and seeing another guy wanting pics of the motor) I sent him the money for it. If anything the cores on the stuff I am getting will at least get me my money back.

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably even the ZF-5 core is worth a few hundred bucks if the trans is bad. Of course to find that out you will have already bolted it into your truck.

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on having a shop crack it open and investigate the internals prior to installation. If it needs nothing, all I am out is an hour or so of labor. If it needs a rebuild, it saves me the grief of R&Ring it 2 times.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys got me thinking I should go into the diesel scrapping biz.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin