Is this turbo a good buy?

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys. Im normally over on the 6.5 forum but i have a question about a 7.3idi turbo. Ok at my local junk yard there is a old 7.3idi turbo with a turbo package on it. I believe the turbo is either a ATS or an Auora? Anyway im wanting to upgrade my 6.5 turbo and was wandering if the turbo is worth the price of 50 bucks to put on my 6.5. the turbo is in great shape no shaft play no leaky oil. The 7.3 itself only has 153k on it and has head studs. The junk you really has no idea why its even out there just one day and older gentleman brought it by on a trailer and dropped it off as is with a cab and chassis and its a f350 with no doors. Anyway is this a good idea?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
In a word yes.

I don't know if it is a good fit for your aplication, but you could simply pull it, (get the whole kit, not just the turbo) and likely triple what you pay. The full kit will sell $600+ easy. Even if you end up using the turbo, you can sell the rest of the kit off for a tidy profit as well.

In other words PLEASE get it all, and sell us what you don't use! Or at least post where this gem is so another member can take advantage.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill buy the head studs if you have the time to pull them. PM me with a price. if you could pick the whole engine and turbo kit up for around 500 you could double your money easy on here/ ebay/ craigslist

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok will do. I dont know if it is a factory turbo or what im not really a ford guy but i will get the whole set up. Do you think it would be worth it to buy just the whole engine? they sell big block chevys for 150 bucks and really dont do diesels as there is only 3 of them in the whole junk yard one 6.5 one 7.3ps and this idi. I could probly get the whole thing for around 300 bucks or less id just have to ask.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything under 500 and youll be money in the bank. Heck even if you buy the whole thing, try the turbo and if you dont like it sell the entire kit.

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok ill ask them Saturday as im going up there to get some interior pieces for my 6.5td and ill let you guys know.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try to get the block serial number that located next to the drivers side of the injection pump top of block. you may have to clean off some rtv and dirt but its there and will tell you what engine it is by the number. The price tag for the turbo is too good to be true really. All the turbo parts are necessary for a complete saleable kit too. you do not need the exhaust manifolds or the intake but the valve cover for the CDR and the cross pipe from one side of the engine to the other is needed. also in the turbo exhaust down pipe but the rest of the exhaust is not needed.

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
no its a real price they have great prices plus im a regular and they give me better deals than most. I mean i can get a whole intake surpercharger and computer for a buick 3800? for 150 bucks if i take it off. They give a better deal if you also take it of the vehicle

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let us know if it's a standard or Auto too as well as serial # If standard and a turbo block I'm very interested in flywheel!!!!!

Also if you don't use all the turbo parts but keep turbo for your needs, depending on WHAT turbo it is, I may want the UP, Y pipes and pedestal so that's 3 more parts sold right there, I'd even be interested in Cross over pipe if carefully cut down to fit smaller box for shipping!

Thus sounds like lots sold.

SECOND DIBS on studs if first dibs falls through!

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok ill let you know this weekend serial # and ill ask about pricing on the exhaust things. I know for a fact that it is a auto. (i used to make 4 trips a week over the summer helping buddys work on there own junk and my own junk.)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok ill let you know this weekend serial # and ill ask about pricing on the exhaust things. I know for a fact that it is a auto. (i used to make 4 trips a week over the summer helping buddys work on there own junk and my own junk.)

It has to be the correct kit for me to show an interest in parts...just sayin..

maybe get some pictures of this behemoth...is it a superduty with hyrdro boost? If so I'd suggest you snag that bad boy for yourself btw!

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok ill get a few pics saturday. Ill let you guys know thanks for all the info wish the 6.5 forum was as active as this. haha

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I believe this forum is the most active on the internet. I hear this many times about the activity of this forum. I feel kind of responcible for it with my nearly 19,000 posts...:angel::angel::angel::D

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heck if you can pick it up cheap enough buy the whole truck and sell parts as you go you are close enough to me if you can get some decent pics i would come buy the whole thing from you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.