Is this the crank case ventilation hose?

Svbdn

Reaction score
Just recently purchased a 1990 7.3l N/a.

A previous owner certainly hacked it up a bit. Did not come with a factory airbox, but with a banks turbo airbox (no was turbo installed)

You must be registered for see images attach

This left two large open holes at the back of the air filter, one I assume is for incoming air to the turbo, the other for compressed air from the turbo into the manifold. Regardless, both were open to atmosphere, and allowing any dust and particulates in.

To solve this, I purchased a 14" edelbrock carb airbox (no carb added) the diameter was right, and I cannot find a stock box anywhere that isn't 2 weeks out by mail.

The problem with the edelbrock, there is nowhere to really attach the hose that comes from the crank case, what I am assuming is the CCV hose that was bolting up to the drivers side of the banks air box.

Can I cap this hose off, or do I need to route it somehow to the airbox still?

There are two cutouts (still closed off)on the bottom of the edelbrock air filter, I would just need to find the part that bolts up to there.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to have some kind of crankcase ventilation, many vent it just to the atmosphere but it can be smoky and stinky in traffic. Where are you located? Maybe one of our members local to you has a spare intake sitting around

Svbdn

Reaction score
I might just vent to atmosphere for now. This is not my daily driver, but I still dont want the ride to be terrible.

I am outside Boulder CO. I am driving the truck out and back to NJ next weekend, and didn't want to be sucking in dust for the entire 3200 miles round trip..

If anyone does have a stock air box, I would certainly be happy to work something out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Originally the CDR is found behind the rear of the intake manifold. there is a hole back there. you will need the rubber hose that connects to the CDR and then dumps into the valley pan. I suspect that hole probably is open now because of the hack job picture you posted.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might just vent to atmosphere for now. This is not my daily driver, but I still dont want the ride to be terrible.

I am outside Boulder CO. I am driving the truck out and back to NJ next weekend, and didn't want to be sucking in dust for the entire 3200 miles round trip..

If anyone does have a stock air box, I would certainly be happy to work something out.

I have an original air box. Pm me and we can talk. I'm just north of Fort Collins CO.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an original air box. Pm me and we can talk. I'm just north of Fort Collins CO.

Also forgot I have a brand new CDR hose and grommet to put your CDR back where it belongs.

I was going to pull my turbo and go back stock but slapped myself silly and decided to keep the turbo...

Svbdn

Reaction score
Originally the CDR is found behind the rear of the intake manifold. there is a hole back there. you will need the rubber hose that connects to the CDR and then dumps into the valley pan. I suspect that hole probably is open now because of the hack job picture you posted.

In stock config that hole is below the back of the intake manifold or on the back of the intake manifold? A pic would be amazing, but I can imagine it is hard to reach.

I just ordered two ccv connectors for the edelbrock air filter, but I might just see if I can't return the hose to its stock location and close that hole up. Get two birds stoned at once.

Svbdn

Reaction score

Just looked and shockingly there is a blocking plate installed...

I guess I will try to reinstall the CDR valve I took off the turbo box so that the crank case is not just venting to atmosphere

Svbdn

Reaction score
okay, so now I am confused... the CDR valve is supposed to connect to the crank case at the back, right below where the CDR mounts to the intake?

Why do I have an opening at the front of the engine, by the oil fill spout? Is this part of the banks turbo system? This is where the hose that went to the CDR went to while the banks box was mounted. please see pics above for reference.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, so now I am confused... the CDR valve is supposed to connect to the crank case at the back, right below where the CDR mounts to the intake?

Why do I have an opening at the front of the engine, by the oil fill spout? Is this part of the banks turbo system? This is where the hose that went to the CDR went to while the banks box was mounted. please see pics above for reference.
Yes, that hose casting is a banks part. Remove it, use two short bolts(SAE, either 1/4-20 or 5/16-18 to put the steel plate on the front of that cast piece straight on the front of the IP gear housing(where you add oil).

Keep the Banks parts and sell them. People always need turbo parts.

Svbdn

Reaction score
Yes, that hose casting is a banks part. Remove it, use two short bolts(SAE, either 1/4-20 or 5/16-18 to put the steel plate on the front of that cast piece straight on the front of the IP gear housing(where you add oil).

Keep the Banks parts and sell them. People always need turbo parts.

Thanks for the clarification. I need to find a steel plate for the front of the IP gear. Does anyone have a part number for the OEM part? I do not have the tools to work with metal right now, so making my own is not really an option.

I had originally connected that front vent to the CDR valve in its stock location, but the hose was definitely kinked. I pulled it off, and started looking around below the CDR valve and found a tiny air filter, black with oil, ghetto stuffed into a plug where the CDR valve was supposed to connect to the crankcase vent.... Needless to say it was leaking a lot of oil.

I ended up pulling that whole contraption out, and cut that plug out to fit my 1" dia hose. I used about 6 -8" to connect the CDR valve in stock config. The front ccv I currently have venting to atmosphere. I will need to return that back to stock before I go in for emissions (because peoples republic of boulder are f***in facists)

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original plate should be on the outside of the adapter for the banks system. It uses the original to cover the big hole in the center. You'll see it when you pull it apart.

Svbdn

Reaction score
The original plate should be on the outside of the adapter for the banks system. It uses the original to cover the big hole in the center. You'll see it when you pull it apart.

So the vent is kind of like a spacer between the original plate and the crankcase? I will have a look at it tonight.

corrado9184

Reaction score
i am putting a turbo on mine currently and have removed the stock air cleaner. Your welcome to it but i am in Texas and the closest i will be is in New Mexico in August.