Is this metal hose supposed to go nowhere? Fuel system issues, Air intrusion, Good Crank No Start

92LongBed

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I am back with more starting issues, previously dealt with battery deficiencies which I have solved, replaced the stock starter with a PowerMaster Starter 9050, thing cranks like a beauty, but it only cranks. I got it to start and it coughed once with a big cloud of white smoke and shut off immediately. Pulsed the schraeder valve on the fuel filter and it bubbles and spurts but fuel doesn't come out quickly it sort of dribbles and spits????

Anyway, i'm replacing my fuel filter today ...well trying. I cant get the old one to unscrew and I noticed this coming from the bottom of my fuel filter housing. Is this natural? I also have a rubber hose coming from the top of my front fuel tank that goes to nothing, its quite short maybe 12-14" and just dangles. I can provide a photo of that as well if needed.

The second photo is showing where the steel tube is hanging if you follow it behind the insulated tubing you can see it just sort of hangs under my serpentine belt. My truck ran fine before the cold snap hit South Carolina but after those sub 15 degree days it has been giving me hell. I am sure I need to replace a butt load of o-rings. I am learning constantly but I do need your help.

Thank you to anyone who can lend a direction.

Attachments

• fuelfilter1.jpg
    fuelfilter1.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 19
  • fuelfilter2.jpg
    fuelfilter2.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 19

CalIDI

Reaction score
I think that the hose from the bottom of the fuel filter/water separator is for draining the water out of it. If the water in fuel light comes on, the manual says to drain the water out of it. In that case, I'd say its normal. I think earlier years didn't come with a hose, but they added one on later years.

-CalIDI

92LongBed

Reaction score
I think that the hose from the bottom of the fuel filter/water separator is for draining the water out of it. If the water in fuel light comes on, the manual says to drain the water out of it. In that case, I'd say its normal. I think earlier years didn't come with a hose, but they added one on later years.

-CalIDI
Thanks!

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That runber to metal hose us a self draining for water/fuel separation and you can replace thay fuel filter with a one piece unit and that sediment bowl aka bottom of your fuel filter woth hose that one piece unit only has a drain plug its a spin on one piece most if not all auto parts chains have it.

On a side note wish i could find a sediment bowl aka plastic bottom end with drain hose im a purist n my 1993 for f250 7.3 n/a was repalced

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jason1377 you can have my sediment bowl, although it aluminum not plastic. The drain hose nipple is plastic with a brass fitting. If interested, hit me up.