Is this likely?

hughjazz

Reaction score
I've had my eye on a 1991 f-250 for about 3 months at a used car lot since late sept. This is a 7.3 4x4 auto ex cab 180'000 km = 95 - 100'000 MILES.

The truck is very clean from looking at the pics Fairly low miles and pretty much exactly what I've been looking for several months. This is my question.

Since sept The price has been $9000 canadian funds.

I call the guy today to see if he wants to deal on the price now that he's had it for 100 days. He said that the price is now $6000 all in. but the transfercase is broken. He said it starts and runs fine but "will only go in 4l"

I asked him when this happened, he answered that when he got the truck in it was fine, but it's been sitting so long. It got lot rot
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: LOL :rotflmao :rotflmao cookoo cookoo cookoo cookoo
So what do you all think?

I'm tempted to get it but is it possible it's the e4od? maybe tc linkage? what do you all think?

Anybody ever experienced this?

My biggest problem is the place is 3 hours away from me. He did say was deemed roadworthy by a mechanic in sept. It could be a friend though.. I just wish I knew *** happened here. Did he not look at the truck properly with trade in? Maybe happen on a test drive? It doesnt make sense. On a side note. If it is the tranny I have a freshly rebuilt e4od from a cube van 460 ci. 2wd can this be made to work id nessecary?

Please feel free to give me your advice or insight. Iv'e had like 10 4x4's but never one with a hint of tc trouble so I am not sure what to think here. Maybe it;s the linkage Thanks guys.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
My truck cost more than that and the engine died 1k miles after I bought it. No easy to make the dealer buy it back at least for Me so maybe You want to get it for much less to save Your (very?) possible loss.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that mean that the TC is "stuck" in 4-LO or that it only "moves" in 4-LO?

I had an 88 some years ago that rapidly progressed (within a week) to where it would only move in 4-LO. The problem was the TC shifter bushings were worn out. There is a splined shaft and sleeve inside the TC (to allow the neutral, 2wd and 4wd operations). When the bushings get worn out, the sleeve stays towards the neutral position.

The fix wasn't TERRIBLY difficult, but it did take splitting the TC assembly in half.

Of course the problem may also be something simply sticking.

As for the E4OD, no the 460 (or any gasser trans) won't fit the IDI / PSD bolt pattern.

SKimballC

Reaction score
The transfer case is so simple to swap out I don't see why he doesn't have it done. I guess it depends on how bad he wants to sell it and how bad he wants to not deal with it and get it off his lot. I personally would not buy an IDI from a used car lot(with the exception of our own Darrin Tosh), been there done that.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
The linkage ford used on these things is pretty lousy and prone to freezing up. I've had issues getting mine into 4L before and spraying oil on the linkage joints fixed it (for a while anyway). Anyway, its not in the trans, could be in the T-case but is most likely just the linkage.

good luck

hughjazz

Reaction score
The transfer case is so simple to swap out I don't see why he doesn't have it done. I guess it depends on how bad he wants to sell it and how bad he wants to not deal with it and get it off his lot. I personally would not buy an IDI from a used car lot(with the exception of our own Darrin Tosh), been there done that.

A used dealer? or an Idi at a dealer? He's had it on the lot for 3 months, maybe he wants it gone. Remember $6000 cdn is like less that 5 g's american Even with a new tc if nessecary maybe it's not a bad deal. I'd prefer a unknown idi than an unknown powerstroke.. easier and cheaper to fix and replace stuff According to the owner of the lot the truck will only move in 4low not in 4h or 2h.. hopefully it's an easy fix that I can pretend is a hard fix. The body is straight and rust free. It seems like a good deal to me.. keep the opinions coming please..:hail

SKimballC

Reaction score
Again, I said "personally". My point is that its hard to get any info about a truck besides the features and cold hard facts from a salesman. In my case, despite having a knowledgeable diesel guy at the used car lot, they had no maintenance history at all. They got it at auction and slapped a pretty new paint job on it but it cavitated about 4 months later. Those low miles on the one you're eyeing are definately a plus. I'd see if he'll get the t-case taken care of- even with a swapped used one- just so you can drive it as it should be before you buy it. If its all its cracked up to be the price sounds good.

hughjazz

Reaction score
Does that mean that the TC is "stuck" in 4-LO or that it only "moves" in 4-LO?

I had an 88 some years ago that rapidly progressed (within a week) to where it would only move in 4-LO. The problem was the TC shifter bushings were worn out. There is a splined shaft and sleeve inside the TC (to allow the neutral, 2wd and 4wd operations). When the bushings get worn out, the sleeve stays towards the neutral position.

The fix wasn't TERRIBLY difficult, but it did take splitting the TC assembly in half.

Of course the problem may also be something simply sticking.

As for the E4OD, no the 460 (or any gasser trans) won't fit the IDI / PSD bolt pattern.

The guy told me that the truck will only drive when it's shifted into 4l.
I spent 15 minutes on the phone with the guy, He seemed to be genuinly pissed that that this had happened. He told me the truck drove fine when he got it in.
If the dealer has been honest with me, I could understand why he doesn't get the truck fixed. If he's telling the truth, the vehicle has been on his lot for 3 months in working condition without being sold.
I get the sense that he just wants this truck to dissapear even if he only breaks even or loses a little money.
fwiw Idi prices here are funny The cheapest one that I have seen in the last 4-5 months has been around $3500 That for a 1984 vehicle with 225'000 MILES and cancerous rust. At the same time the most expensive one I have seen has been around $14'000 For a really low mileage (45'000) factory turbo 1994. Powerstrokes are WAY WAY more expensive here. A 94-95 p.s. in similar condition to the one I'm looking at would probably fetch $13'000 or so (with a working TC) at least maybe more.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So call a local trans shop in the area and get a price for swapping the TC with a used one. Maybe it is something he can have done for you if the sell was depending on it. Do the leg work, and make the offer, I will give you your asking price, if you get the TC fixed. It will cost this much at this shop down the street, If everything else is as promised I will buy the truck. He has nothing to loose, he will probably have to fix it to get rid of it anyway...

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tranny could be gone. Loss of pressure in the tranny means the tranny will not "grab" good enough to move the pickup in HI range. But low range gives enough gear reduction so that the tranny can move the pickup. This opinion is based on an actual event last summer:puke: . I would drive to the lot and take it to a tranny shop or do some investigating on my own before buying.

With it running in drive in HI, crawl under and see if the drive shaft can be turned back and forth. If it is tight the tranny is trying to turn it and is bad, if it is loose the transfer case is the problem.

I would suggest you have someone with their foot on the brake before crawling under it or you might be this:angel: .

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe a dealer would be this stupid, but what if the rear shoes are rusted to a drum? I can see it not going in hi, but being able to drag itself in 4lo.

hughjazz

Reaction score
I had a chevy transmission that had low pressure. Something popped when plowing. There was no go. I had to get it home 40 miles away. I drove to the highway in 4l (2 minute drive) Then I gunned it in 4h till I hit 40 mph. I let off the throttle till the torque converter locked up. Then took it home..

That's also a good point about the parking brake/rear drums. I'm probably gonna go up with my wife in the focus, Then spend the rest of the day at west edmonton mall. (supposedly the biggest mall in north america). I'll poke around and see what I can figure out. If I think I can fix it I'll go back with the 1 ton and trailer and bring it home.

hughjazz

Reaction score
so the next question? Are all transfer cases the same? I mean This truck will have the BW 1356? I think that's the right # it ends with a 6 lol.

Can I get one from a gasser or f150 if it's the same model? I have several huge bone yards here in the city. Not very many diesels though, Most are stripped clean within a couple hours too. But there is probably 10-20 4x4 gassers around, Could this work if I found one with the slip joint in the back?

tractorman86

Reaction score
yes, it is a BW1356 and i believe the gassers are the same(dont quote me though the input might be a different spline count) i had a problem where the shaft running into the t-case had somehow wabbled itself a nice egg-shaped hole. i just tooled out the hole and sleaved it with some household copper pipe, there was a lot of use of a dremmel but if you are carefull it'll turn out just right!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I call the guy today to see if he wants to deal on the price now that he's had it for 100 days. He said that the price is now $6000 all in. but the transfercase is broken. He said it starts and runs fine but "will only go in 4l"

I asked him when this happened, he answered that when he got the truck in it was fine, but it's been sitting so long. It got lot rot

OK, I just hit me and I'm boing to call "********" on what the dealer is telling you. Bet it was traded in ***** or somebody Fudged it up on a test drive and limped it back as a dealer shouldn't have a truck in 4 LO on the lot.

I've had stuck transfers before from not using it and have always been able to free it up by moving the truck slowly then decelerating while popping it out of gear

The Borg Warner transfers I've been in either breaks or bends a part of the linkage, that I can't remember what it's called, inside that causes them to get stuck in gear or between gears when some idiot trys to shift from 2 Hi to 4 Lo without stopping. My buddy fixes that problem alot at his 4x4 shop