is this a repair? and what to do with it? '89 F-350 4x4

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I already noticed this about 15 years ago, shortly after I bought her, when my truck came home, but due to registration issues and so, I hardly ever used her.
and now I got the tranny underneath for a overhaul, and I thought while I'm at it, what shall I do wit this?
You must know, being in FRANCE It's very difficult to become spare parts for these trucks.

Please tell me, what do you think it is what you see at the photo under the orange goop????

Attachments

• IMG_3960.jpg
    IMG_3960.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3962.jpg
    IMG_3962.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 45

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that transfer case have a hole for a speedometer cable? If not there’s probably a crack.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes it does, and I also think it's a crack, but I'm not sure, and I don't want to get the goop off to look, while it is quite decent stuff, well done.

Mattc2066

Reaction score
This will be from a crack repair. this is popular for off roaders using some quick set RTV. Problem is that quickset isnt usually very good with oils or high pressure for a long time. If it were mine I would absolutley scrape and acetone all of it off. If you have a welder or know someone who does, use a 6010 stick and seal it up. 6010 rods dont care about dirt, oil, rust, grease, nothing will stop it.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have a really good look at my Photo?
because you speak about a rod, but usually you don't weld aluminium wit a rod?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have a really good look at my Photo?
because you speak about a rod, but usually you don't weld aluminium wit a rod?
Yeah I dunno what he was thinking but it's aluminum.

No way to tell what you are dealing with until you remove the goop. Black RTV will seal it back up if you have to run it for some reason. But you want to get it fixed.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
That is the very common BW1356 tcase, and that tailcone isn't doing much at the end except holding a seal.

If you're really curious... take off the silicone. Can always silicone again, or step up to a metal-epoxy putty type compound (JB weld, etc.) I don't think its worth the trouble of welding. Many of these cast alloys don't weld very well - especially after oil exposure.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will be from a crack repair. this is popular for off roaders using some quick set RTV. Problem is that quickset isnt usually very good with oils or high pressure for a long time. If it were mine I would absolutley scrape and acetone all of it off. If you have a welder or know someone who does, use a 6010 stick and seal it up. 6010 rods dont care about dirt, oil, rust, grease, nothing will stop it.
I’ll pay to watch you weld a 1356 with a 6010 rod

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the very common BW1356 tcase, and that tailcone isn't doing much at the end except holding a seal.

If you're really curious... take off the silicone. Can always silicone again, or step up to a metal-epoxy putty type compound (JB weld, etc.) I don't think its worth the trouble of welding. Many of these cast alloys don't weld very well - especially after oil exposure.
That might be feasible, I'm just curious what they did to it, to get a crack there?

Mattc2066

Reaction score
Interested what your experience has been like with 4043? Thinnest you've done?
ive used it on anything from 1/2in at 80amp down to 1/8in at 50amp. any thinner and I would tig weld it if I had the choice, if not it can still be done with care as not to blow through or open up your keyhole to a ridiculous size. it is not ideal but if you dont have a tig welder (most folks dont DIY welding have a stick welder) it works out fine. I use the hobart 4043 and get them at tractor supply for about $20 per pack of 10.

Donnergaard

Reaction score
BW 1356 transfer cases are magnesium. The red sealer could be sealing a crack or pinhole leak. The seal is held in the very end however in the area of the red sealer is a bushing that supports the driveshaft yoke. I have seen tailshaft housings for sale on line for more money than I paid for the whole t case. Might be a good idea to check ebay. Used t cases go for $100 to $150 from what I’ve seen. If you just have a pinhole leak, just clean it up, sand it and use JB weld or something similar. If it’s a crack, seal it back up, keep an eye on it and think about a replacement part.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the sound advice.
though I'm on the other side of the pond here, and I'm not sure if A) someone selling on e-bay likes to sent it over, and B) Imagine all those costs for "just a pinhole"?
I mean; if it was something structural, that would be a different thing.

Are these t-cases known for developing holes and cracks in this spot?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online