is the pickup attach to the sending unit im lost

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a saddle tank?

If it's the saddle tank, you can weasel out your send unit without dropping the tank. If it's the rear tank, you've gotta drop it or pull the bed for access. If it were me, I'd pull out what you have so you know what you need, but that's just me.

Good luck.

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i just now dropped the rear tank and the damn auto parts don't even carry it so im screwed till Friday i guess....... thanks a lot.. i was lost the only fuel tank i messed with was my 66 Chevy and its behind the seat so it was a blast..... but on the other end the ford rear tank almost flatted my face because i thought the shield bolts where different than the actual tank bolts like the front tank is...

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The entire fuel pick up assembly for our trucks is obsolete. Just repair it with a piece of 3/8 fuel hose and call it done.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I went to O'Rielys and got a "sock" for a 12V in the tank electric fuel pump, modified it slightly and used a small hose clamp to hold it to the pickup assembly, I wanted something on the end of the pickup tube to filter the crud from getting sucked up and plugging up the fuel lines, injectors, etc...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nothing in your tanks is going to plug up your lines, filters and injectors. Any diesel pumped from any service station has a filter on the pump. So these diesel fuel tanks stay really clean. Now if your running a fuel that you made up and the filtering is suspect then yes... Your tank will have "some" material in it but... The fuel filter will collect all of it. A fuel filter that gets plugged up will not pass enough fuel to run on very far. Just watch for the filter lite and change the filter..

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Nothing in your tanks is going to plug up your lines, filters and injectors. Any diesel pumped from any service station has a filter on the pump. So these diesel fuel tanks stay really clean. Now if your running a fuel that you made up and the filtering is suspect then yes... Your tank will have "some" material in it but... The fuel filter will collect all of it. A fuel filter that gets plugged up will not pass enough fuel to run on very far. Just watch for the filter lite and change the filter..

Hey Gary don't forget the selector valve getting plugged tho.

Especially for those that have experienced the 1/4 tank syndrome.

If the shower head has disintegrated, chances are good that a piece or two of that hard rubber will make it's way into the selector valve.
Had one of my customers trucks go bonkers on him, drawin gfrom both tanks but only returning to one!!!cookoo
I know sounds impossible to do but it did.

I've take filter screened socks and grafted them onto submersible rated fuel line without any problems.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually use a fine stainless steel screen and good quality air brake line as my pickup tube. Hasn't failed yet.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can make it up to Beaumont I'll give you a hand. We can use my big picker to pull the bed off and then rebuild both pickups the easy way. While you're here we can check and adjust the timing if needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online