7.3 Excursion fuel pickup unit?

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to fix my 7.3 Excursion pickup unit would like to do the hutch mode on it but there is a snag the fuel level sensor is broke also, that electrical copper wiper is destroyed in it.
From what I can tell you cant just get the fuel sending parts have to replace the entire unit?
So here is my questions does the trucks use that same part and I can just change the float from the excursion, much cheaper to find that entire unit if buying one from a truck?
Anybody know if the 6.0 Excursion fuel pickup unit will fit in the 7.3 Excursion? Much cheaper than the 7.3 and the hutch mod is done, just will need to add a inline filter before the fuel pump.

Been a long time since I posted here but that is a good thing not many issues with the diesels!!!!!

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Need to fix my 7.3 Excursion pickup unit would like to do the hutch mode on it but there is a snag the fuel level sensor is broke also, that electrical copper wiper is destroyed in it.
From what I can tell you cant just get the fuel sending parts have to replace the entire unit?
So here is my questions does the trucks use that same part and I can just change the float from the excursion, much cheaper to find that entire unit if buying one from a truck?
Anybody know if the 6.0 Excursion fuel pickup unit will fit in the 7.3 Excursion? Much cheaper than the 7.3 and the hutch mod is done, just will need to add a inline filter before the fuel pump.

Been a long time since I posted here but that is a good thing not many issues with the diesels!!!!!

Welcome back. I don't know the answer to your question but hope someone can help ya. Have you posted pics of your Excursion?

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the hutch mod on my F-350....followed the advice of Diesel Tech Ron (RIP) from YouTube videos.....eliminated the pick-up unit completely....replaced with a curved copper tube that runs parallel to the bottom of the tank....no issues so far....:Thumbs Up

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on if I get an answer if the 6.0 pickup tube will fit on the 7.3 excursion tank I will go that route first. Thinking about just ordering the 6.0 on Amazon if it doesn't work well I can return it.
I am going to try and get to the scrap yard today to see if I can find just the sending unit on another Ford vehicle that is the same to see if I can fix the one that came off the excursion. If I go this route I will do the hutch mod but I wont be using copper concerned about it with biodiesel blending, biodiesel leaves copper/brass a nice green slime on it. My plan was to leave the return flexible hose like it is and put that duckbill thing on the end of it so it will sit just above the pickup foot kind of like how the 6.0 is setup.

Anybody out there think the 6.0 will work in the 7.3 excursion tank?

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good to know regarding copper lines....will consider changing those out....have not had any problems yet....

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably ok for a long time unless you are using bio in more quantity than the up to 5% we could have here. I don't think 5% will effect them for a very long time if at any.

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'll drop my tank this spring just to see what it looks like. Was modified two years ago. Low miles driven.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I hit up the local Salvage yard to do some Ford Pickup tube searching and I found a match for that sensor piece, at least the Excursion all you need is to swap the float arm. The vehicle that I pulled it from was a 2005 Ford Escape good news is you can access the tank without removing it. This will at least fix my fuel level issue, I also got me a section of 3/8 fuel line for the hutch mod will order me a stainless compression fitting tonight from Amazon along with 5/16 inline screen filters to cut in before the pump.

I did order the 6.0 fuel pickup assy so if it seems to fit on a 7.3 I will let you know it was way cheaper than the 7.3 setup I ordered it for $241 shipped.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok got the 6.0 pickup assembly and it will fit in the 7.3 excursion fuel tank the only thing needed was the locating pins need to be bent out some to lineup but that might be since it is a aftermarket part Delphi FL0272. Already has the hutch mod done also so if you cant find the fuel sending unit and want to do the hutch mod this might be a good option it was only $250 dollars.

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 9