Is my return line route ok?

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like fuel from everything will be able to make it way back to the tank... but will this be terribly inefficient?

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
IMO, you should have both sides connected at the rear.
To me the passenger side may not be able to overcome the pressure of the inj-pump plus driver side injectors.

I'm no expert though, so yours may very well be fine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That system will work fine. Please remember that fuel filter bleeder valve only allows air to escape. Not much if any fuel is returned from there. About the only time fuel returns from the filter is when the brass check valve fails. If you need a replacement valve Oregon Fuel Injection sells them in two differant sizes. So you wil need to know what size retrun lines your useing on your engine. We can run both sizes if we change all the fitting connections to the bigger or smaller return line size. Its either the 3/16 lines or the 1/4 inch lines thats found on the return lines.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I have a line connected to the fuel filter which connects to all the right side injectors then connects at the rear of the engine to the left side injectors which are all connected together but I cant remember if the IP is included in the loop on the left side injectors.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a line connected to the fuel filter which connects to all the right side injectors then connects at the rear of the engine to the left side injectors which are all connected together but I cant remember if the IP is included in the loop on the left side injectors.

yours should have a steel line that runs to the rear from the IP.

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you guys running the crossover from the 7 to 8 injector... Wouldn't you need a 3 way tee on the 8 injector?
One line to 7, one line to 6, and one line to return to the tank.

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also finally got her started back up after replacing the injectors and lines today. These damn things are finicky, I found a little leak from using a hose clamp and she was smoking out the neighborhood.

I ran out of the correct clamps and figured a hose clamp could work, I now see that it doesnt.
Any idea short of ordering online where I can find clamps of the style that go on our return lines? I'm not sure what they're called. Home depot and advance did not have them today, pepboys was closed, I will try them tomorrow.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Also finally got her started back up after replacing the injectors and lines today. These damn things are finicky, I found a little leak from using a hose clamp and she was smoking out the neighborhood.

I ran out of the correct clamps and figured a hose clamp could work, I now see that it doesnt.
Any idea short of ordering online where I can find clamps of the style that go on our return lines? I'm not sure what they're called. Home depot and advance did not have them today, pepboys was closed, I will try them tomorrow.

If you dont have the correct size spring type clamp, a fuel injection type hose clamp will function properly without leaking. Worm gear clamps form a pinch on one side, but a fuel injection clamp encircles the hose and tightens evenly around it to prevent leaks in fuel lines. Any decent parts counterman will know what to get you

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont have the correct size spring type clamp, a fuel injection type hose clamp will function properly without leaking. Worm gear clamps form a pinch on one side, but a fuel injection clamp encircles the hose and tightens evenly around it to prevent leaks in fuel lines. Any decent parts counterman will know what to get you

A fuel injection clamp is actually what I'm using. I believe its a tad too big though

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think no clamp is better than a worm clamp. Its the distortion that usually causes the leak.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZone carries the spring clamps, they come in different colors like, Green-Red-Blue for the different size rubber hose. If you have the normal injector kit for the 7.3 it would be 1/4" ID and would take the Red clamps IIRC.

Your fuel system is OK , but the return to tank at #8 should be orficed to maintain a low pressure in the injector lines. The return line to the filter helps the lift pump, meaning the LP doesn't have to pump as much fuel. The orfice should be about half the size of the fitting your useing. Normally there is a Brass TEE that is orficed to tank for crossover from #8 to #7.

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AZone carries the spring clamps, they come in different colors like, Green-Red-Blue for the different size rubber hose. If you have the normal injector kit for the 7.3 it would be 1/4" ID and would take the Red clamps IIRC.

Your fuel system is OK , but the return to tank at #8 should be orficed to maintain a low pressure in the injector lines. The return line to the filter helps the lift pump, meaning the LP doesn't have to pump as much fuel. The orfice should be about half the size of the fitting your useing. Normally there is a Brass TEE that is orficed to tank for crossover from #8 to #7.

Are you saying I should install a tee inline the fuel line going from #8 to the fitting which sends fuel back to the tank?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All injector returns on my truck all feed into return line to tank, moving line from filter head to return line eliminated the engine power surge when air was present.
Also adding a glass media 2 micron fuel filter made a huge power inmprovment, and less smoke at idle.
Hard to tell im on wmo now.

Javier