Is my pump failing?

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Had a little trouble on the way to work yesterday and i noticed that the truck seemed to rattle more. When i got home i checked the timing and it had jumped forward 5°. What could cause this?

Also, anyone have a good used IP for sale?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Start by telling us how many miles are on the pump and the injecters. Then we can move on from there to help you. In real general term we have found that 125,000 miles is when the injecters and pump wear out. Some get more and some get less miles out of them.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
It was a used pump and injectors when i got them so i don't have a clue. I also don't have a way to track mileage because my speedometer is broken.

The trouble i speak of is the truck loses power until i let off the throttle and get back on it. It also hiccups at idle. I put 6 gal diesel in the truck, changed the fuel filter, cleaned the dura-lift's strainer, and blew out all the fuel lines. It still did it on the way home. My fuel pickup lays on the bottom of the tank, so no water is left in the fuel tank and i've never seen any water in the dura-lift's bowl.

I checked my timing advance and it changes sound when i plug/unplug the wire on the pump. I also checked that the temp switch is not sticking.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I checked it when i got home for voltage. The engine was at 190° and there was no voltage at the cold advance terminal.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A set of injecters and pump of unknown mileage is a tuff way to determine how old they are. I do understand costs sometimes requires us to buy what we normally wouldn't. You might try some fuel additive in hopes that some cleaning action will do something.. Strat with a double does of what you choose to use. About the cheapest cleaner will be 2 quarts of atf fluid in the next tank of fuel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely the advance piston is hanging up. Time to redo the pump.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As Mel suggested you can test the plunger by watching the lever work on the drivers side of the injection pump. It should move freely from idle to wide open throttle. There should be little or no gap between the roller and the lever.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Wednesday night the timing was 13°. I reset it to about 9.5°. Thursday night i put a new fuel filter on it, cleaned the strainer, and blew out the lines. Today on the way to work it was getting very loud, smoking like a steam engine, and very low on power (it took about 15sec to accelerate from 50 to 55mph at WOT). Tonight i recheck the timing because it still sounded loud, but not as loud as the morning, and it was at 7°. The pump hasn't moved at all. The cold timing advance was unplugged the whole time so it wouldn't be a factor. It is still hesitating too.

It seems to me like something inside the pump came loose...

As far as cleaning it, my fuel in the last two tanks (until i started having the trouble, at which point i put diesel in) is 67%WMO/22% K-1/11% gasoline......I don't think a cleaner is going to gain me much...