Is Marvel Mystery Oil safe for an IDI?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turning the engine by hand is necessary in case you got too much fluid in a cylinder so you don't break a piston or bend a rod. mmo will just act like diesel fuel and burn . What the other fellow did was actually pour the seafoam down the intake of a running diesel which is a huge 'no no' and he's very lucky he didn't immediately destroy his engine.
let the mmo sit in the cylinders for a few days to maximize penetration. then turn the engine by hand a few times to make sure there's no binding then start as normal

Last edited:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. ;Sweet

Thanks for the info guys. I really hope this fixes the miss and oil dripping from the exhaust.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
start the engine, get a small rock and put it in the go pedal, that should let it idle and clean at the same time with out washing the cylinders.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, from what I read, MMO is mostly plain old kerosene with a blend of miscellaneous paint thinners.

It will burn mixed in the fuel or supposedly dissolve the crud that collects in oil passages when mixed with the engine oil.

Some use it religiously as an injector-cleaning fuel treatment, but I would only do so with a healthy dose of two-cycle oil at the same time.

For your application, it may be just what the doctor ordered; let us know how it turns out. ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I tried mmo once to try and unstick some rings on one just to try it, filled all the holes numerous times over a couple of weeks. Didn't do a blamed thing. Ran the Auto RX and fixed it up. They would have to be very lightly stuck for that mmo stuff to work. You'd have better luck out of a dreaded solvent flush if trying to go quick, but then you risk knocking chunks loose and tearing things up

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO MMO works decent in the fuel to remove some of the deposits from around the injector in a Direct injected diesel, based on that it makes me wonder if it would do good cleaning out the pre-cups on an IDI. that is the only application I've tried it in.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
IMHO MMO works decent in the fuel to remove some of the deposits from around the injector in a Direct injected diesel, based on that it makes me wonder if it would do good cleaning out the pre-cups on an IDI. that is the only application I've tried it in.

dunno, but I do know that it says on the bottle "this fuel additive does not meet federal requirements for ultra low sulfur diesel fuel"

which is why I picked it up to supplement the ultra low sulfur junk they sell at the stations here :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dunno, but I do know that it says on the bottle "this fuel additive does not meet federal requirements for ultra low sulfur diesel fuel"

which is why I picked it up to supplement the ultra low sulfur junk they sell at the stations here :)

MMO does absolutely nothing to add the missing lubricity of ULSD; in fact, it actually makes matters worse, as it is mostly solvents, as in paint-thinner.

There is an article floating around somewhere that a bunch of guys on one of the older Dodge boards paid a lab themselves to test the lubricity of ULSD with various so-called fuel-treatments that claimed to have some magical lubricating additive; almost without exception, none of them helped lubricity, and many of them made matters worse.

The only ones in the test that helped lubricity enough to be of benefit were TC-W3 two-cycle oil at an ounce/gallon ratio, and most of the soy-bean oil fuels; the higher the mix, the better the lube. ;Sweet

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just squirted a qt of MMO into the cylinders.. Obviously some took more than others.. A couple of them took it as fast as I could squirt it in, and when I squeezed the empty turkey baster into the cylinder you could hear it in the intake.
I screwed the GP's partially in, so bugs and loose dirt don't find their way in. Is that bad for the GP's?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MMO worked great. It helped a lot... I sold the truck today, and followed it back to town when the buyer left. It sounded so good, and definitely cleared itself out.

I miss it already.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Good deal. It's amazing how many diesels suffer from sticky rings and how many get torn down or trashed because of something simple.

Revelstoke

Reaction score
My diesel service man told me it does not completely combust, so it's not good to use in a diesel engine. After seeing the fuel additive article in technical articles, it appears MMO is not a great fuel lube either. With that said, I love the stuff, and it does a good job keeping my engines clean in the engine lube. I think it also makes a good fuel conditioner....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DISCONNECT THE WIRE ON THE FUEL SOLENOID SO IT WON'T START BEFORE CRANKING.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online