Is Marvel Mystery Oil safe for an IDI?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need something to help free up possibly stuck rings. The truck is not licensed at the moment, so I can't put a lot of mile s on it as Auto RX requires. I need something that will help while it idles...

Is Marvel Mystery oil any good? If so, what would be the best way to run it to?achieve what I am needing?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To target the rings, would I just add it to the oil, or...? Do I have to pull the injectors and squirt it in? I haven't narrowed it down to a specific cylinder, so I wanted to treat them all. The engine sat for almost a year, so I'm sure they could all use some help anyway.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clean off the area around the glow plugs and pull the glow plugs. inject MMO through the gp holes. rotate crank by hand tools. if possible, tip the left bank vertical and rotate a few times and do the same for the right bank too.
good luck.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just squirt some MMO in each GP hole, rotate by hand for a bit, and fire it? Or do I need to let it sit? I can drive it up and down my driveway, but don't want to take it down the highway.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So just squirt some MMO in each GP hole, rotate by hand for a bit, and fire it? Or do I need to let it sit? I can drive it up and down my driveway, but don't want to take it down the highway.
I'd crank it over by hand. the motor sees MMO as a fuel and will treat it accordingly:eek:
go read the seafoam thread for S&G;Sweet

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your going to do that use pb blaster, i have done that to several gas engines and it works wonders. what i usually do is pull the plugs, spray pb blaster in there and let it soak for about a 1/2 hour. then i go back and spray some more in. then i crank it for about 15-30 seconds. (still without plugs in it) i then will spray it in there and let it sit for another 1/2 hour. then i go back and spray more in there and crank it about another 20-30 seconds. then put the plugs in it and run the crap put of it for about a mile (after its fully warm). then i will repeat it at least one more time. the engines i have done this to have gone form using a qt of oil every 3 days or so to using 1 qt (or less)between oil changes

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I use brake fluid to free seized pistons in gassers, I fill the cylinders and let them sit for a couple days and then rotate by hand (with the plugs out) slowly with a very large breaker bar, it eats any rust or crap holding them in place, and it will sometimes make a dead engine that's been sitting for ages a running engine

might work for your rings if MMO doesn't, sure shouldn't hurt an IDI, it's basically filling it up with fuel in the cylinders to an extent

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What should I do after cranking it by hand? Try to get the MMO back out before firing it? I'm just confused about what to do after I put it in the cylinder, and rotate the crank by hand.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd let it sit.
it will leak through the rings slowly and into your crankcase. then it won't be an issue.
brake fluid imho is a bad idea since it will attack the "polish" on the cylinder walls if left to sit in the cylinders.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just let it sit for a day or something? I just want to be 100% sure I don't do something to blow the engine up or cause any damage. :D

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it was me i would put it in the cyls threw the GP hole and let it sit for atleast a few hours but however long u wait crank it a few times to get any left overs out because it could hydro lock if u just put the plugs in and cranked it

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you want to get it out, Just use the starter with the glow plugs still out. Maybe throw a towel or something on top the engine to try and catch it so it doesn't go everywhere.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Trying to use the starter to crank it out will blind you if it gets in your eyes. These motors make 450 lbs of cranking compression and up. Mine makes 530 lbs. Even when I am doing a compression test and have cleaned the glow plug holes it still blows stuff about 10 inches up off the motor.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely make sure I don't use a remote starter, or have anyone near it when cranking. I will roll up the windows and hide in the cab. ;Sweet

I do have some GOOD news. I have been putting off replacing the glow plugs because they looked really old and I didn't want any tips breaking. I only replaced the burnt out ones.. But I just got done pulling them all, and they were all intact. :thumbsup: The PO ran all motorcrafts. :D:D

I bought two bottles of MMO, and will use one qt. per bank tomorrow, and let it sit for a few hours, then crank it by hand, let it sit again, then crank it out of the cylinders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online