is it timing or injectors

Reaction score
Okay so at 2300 rpm under no load my truck will lay some heavy blueish white smoke. Also if it sits for an hour and I start it back up it sounds like its missing a bit. After I drive it on the freeway it seems like it goes away. Do I have leaky injectors is my timing off. Is my ip on its way out?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You do have a problem but more information is required before I can tell you to start throwing parts at it. How many miles are on the injection pump or the injecters. When was the last time you had the engine timed and how was the timing done. there are many ways of timing these engines. The pulse timiing is the one we feel works the easiest and the best.

Reaction score
Timing was just done miles I think on both the ip and injectors have about 100k on them. I don't know how the timing was done I had it done at a reputable shop in town.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like retarded timing, and/or leaking injectors, and/or worn IP. These parts are good for 100k so it may be time to refresh your injection system. A "miss" is an indication of one or more injectors not working properly.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing was just done miles I think on both the ip and injectors have about 100k on them. I don't know how the timing was done I had it done at a reputable shop in town.

Best be inquiring as to how you had that timed and what you paid for cause if it was by ear, I'd say ask for a refund cause mechanics ear is not timing. Pulse or Luminosity is timing...but no ear.

LOL

JM2CW

Reaction score
I was already planning on ordering some bb injectors from Mel can't afford an ip to hoping the ip can hold out for another couple months

Reaction score
I'm going to look at it this weekend I'm planning on starting it and crack the injection lines one by one to see if there is a difference in how it runs.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds more like an injector issue but this is my opinion. Also, new injectors will strain an old IP too. A worn IP will struggle to keep up with the new high pop pressure injectors.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
blueish color smoke means she's burning some oil.
general rule of thumb; oil rings = blue smoke constantly/under load.valve job required = smokes mostly at start up but clears up once warm like your describing.might be time to freshen up her heads.

Black dawg

Reaction score
for now, just move the pump up a "dimes thickness" till you can get somebody to put a meter on it. The timing is probably at 2deg or less right now

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you are able to move the pump timing yourself make a center punch mark in the pump to mounting housing first. then when you advance the pump timing and feel its not right you can match up the two half circles again. thats the easy way to know where your timing was before you changed it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online