Is it a Good Deal?

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy has a 7.3 out of a 1993. Reads 145,000 on the digital odometer. Has an E4OD with a receipt showing it was rebuilt 15,000 miles ago. Has injectors and pump from R&D with about 15,000 miles on them. ATS turbo included. But the motor and transmission both look like they have 300,000 miles worth of grime on them. ATS turned up to 15 psi. Owner is a young kid who has definitely rode the crap out of it for the 20,000 miles that he has owned it. But I test drove the motor and it runs well. Is it a Good deal for 2500? Complete from fan to transfer case?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grime can happen pretty quickly if he had a diesel leak near the fan. It can spray all over the engine and if left unfixed, it can accumulate a lot. These diesels are hard to keep clean and notoriously leak even after a moderately-recent rebuild. An engine with over 100,000 miles will look old, but these can last well over 300K if maintained ok.

Some pictures would help the appraisal. How did you test drive it? Is it out of the truck?

If the PO was putting in R&D parts, that's a good sign that they cared a little bit about the quality of parts for that IDI. $2500 seems kind of high for an engine from fan to case. I've seen full trucks sell for that. A used IDI typically sells for about $300-500 based on the parts. Tranny can go for similar. Since the tranny is supposedly rebuilt, it might fetch a little more. The R&D Pump is about a grand new, but used, maybe half that. Same for injectors.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No.

I'd value a good-running 7.3 at about $300, maby. ATS turbo at $500. New injectors, figure $150, MAX(good quality injectors, but somewhat used). Pump - If it's a RD2-90, figure $400(again, used). If it's a RD2-110, figure $700.
E4OD... I don't know. $500? Transfer case, $100-200.

So... $1900-2300? Assuming you can use everything and really need it.

I'd de-rate that by half considering that nobody else is going to buy it - IDIs are not in demand.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grime can happen pretty quickly if he had a diesel leak near the fan. It can spray all over the engine and if left unfixed, it can accumulate a lot. These diesels are hard to keep clean and notoriously leak even after a moderately-recent rebuild. An engine with over 100,000 miles will look old, but these can last well over 300K if maintained ok.

Some pictures would help the appraisal. How did you test drive it? Is it out of the truck?

If the PO was putting in R&D parts, that's a good sign that they cared a little bit about the quality of parts for that IDI. $2500 seems kind of high for an engine from fan to case. I've seen full trucks sell for that. A used IDI typically sells for about $300-500 based on the parts. Tranny can go for similar. Since the tranny is supposedly rebuilt, it might fetch a little more. The R&D Pump is about a grand new, but used, maybe half that. Same for injectors.
Oh wow...someone knowledgable in r n d parts...hkw do you figure this....your comment cared little is based on what...experience of dealing with Justin ....or just assumption...

I dont stand for any one supplier but I do stand against ignorance.....

Just sayin

Btw...truck price ok......no5 great...but ok

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow...someone knowledgable in r n d parts...hkw do you figure this....your comment cared little is based on what...experience of dealing with Justin ....or just assumption...

I'm not following what you are asking.

I said "If the PO was putting in R&D parts, that's a good sign that they cared a little bit about the quality of parts for that IDI." I don't think I went out on a limb saying that. Justin is a superstar in the IDI world, but outside of that, he's relatively unknown. So if a person has an IDI and they needed an IP, and they are not part of the IDI forums, they likely would just go to the local parts dealer and get a crap rebuilt IP. The shear fact he has an R&D pump means that he probably perused these forums (OB, FTE, DS, etc) and read about R&D or Conestoga and bought a pump from them, which do cost more for quality. So the PO must have "cared a little bit about" his IDI at some point in its history.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd de-rate that by half considering that nobody else is going to buy it - IDIs are not in demand.

Mac is right on, overall.

No one will buy that engine. You are likely the only buyer for that engine and tranny, and it will sit there for a decade if he wants $2000 for it. I recently bought an IDI engine with a radiator, all accessories, IP, fan clutch, flex plate, torque converter, cables, starter, heads, intake, EM's, and other stuff for $400. Total.

I'd show up with $800 cash in hand. No one else in a 250-mile radius will offer that much for that engine, tranny, IP, and transfer case.

(That being said, if the seller wanted to make some money off this deal, he would sell the engine and tranny to someone in person, and sell the IP, injectors, transfer case, and turbo on ebay. That would be the only way he could approach $1500-2000 he wants overall. And even then, that's no guarantee. If I were him, I'd take whatever $$$ I could get from you asap.)

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a good debate ...or a slippery slope into the usual ******* contest between manufacturers . Depends on how you all see it.

Back to the point of the matter...the guy is asking above what it's worth as a unit . Parted out may be worth it to him and to build a motor to your specs may be an option if you have the means and end up with a better deal.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I'd offer him no more than a grand and be prepared to walk away.
If he's got your number, chances are he'll end up calling you back in a few weeks if you let him know your offer will stand.
Worst case (for you) is he finds someone else to buy it.
You could buy a $1500 running/driving truck, buy all the parts new, swap the engine into what you want with all of the parts, part out the truck, and come out ahead over that deal.

I'd probably offer him $800 cash and tell him it was a one-time offer, do the above, and have another pickup box trailer at the end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726