IP timing mark retarded?

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a used engine in a few weeks ago. It starts super easy, runs 100% better than the old one. It seems to have ok power. The mark on the IP is a dimes width to the drivers side. I'm tempted to just line them up and see how it runs, but no pyro on the truck. What are the chances the timing is right? I know those marks are for rough reference, but I've never heard anyone say the timing was right with it like mine is.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a used engine in a few weeks ago. It starts super easy, runs 100% better than the old one. It seems to have ok power. The mark on the IP is a dimes width to the drivers side. I'm tempted to just line them up and see how it runs, but no pyro on the truck. What are the chances the timing is right? I know those marks are for rough reference, but I've never heard anyone say the timing was right with it like mine is.

Honestly if you are going through the effort of attempting to time it, get a hold of Gary, AKA Icanfixall via PM and rent a timing meter and set it correctly! Why would you even want to use a guessingmeter when you can get the real thing?

If it ain't broke...don't fix it.

JM2CW

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
The timing marks in these rigs are, well pretty useless. From the factory with the original matched pump, they were the factory setting. As the pump wears, the pumps timing retards, and must be re-set. If the pump is rebuilt, or a replacement is put on, the timing will be completely different. The factory marks will, most of the time, get you running when you replace a pump, but then you must time it correctly.

X2 on PMing Garry and renting his meter. If it's running fine now, don't mess with it unless you have a meter.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
As was said, forget the timing marks, if I line my ip up (factory IP but off another engine) it won't even run!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If it aint broke that no joke....:eek::D There is a very small chance your timing is correct and those marks accidently lined up properly. you see all pumps are rebuild differantly and the lines really mean nothing after they are made at the factory. So it could be right but most likely it just looks and feel right. Having it checked is the only way to know for sure. A few years ago I was doing a timing clinic at towcats GTG when I timed a members rig. It was set at negative 4 degrees AFTER top dead center.....:eek: Wow. Then engine sounded like a gasser when it ran. We fixed that by upping it to 8.5 before tdc. A whole new world opened up for the truck after that. Guessing is just that. Knowing is so much more that guessing.