IP Removal/Installation Wrench

Joe Mc

Reaction score
I don't know if the 86s are different or if it was because I didn't know any better, I used standard wrenches to remove and install the I/P.

Now that I know about this, I will try to fab something next time.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Grinder & a torch just about will "fix" any wrench needed.:Sly
Nearly every wrench I own has been modified, bent, discolored, lost, stolen, or something at one time or another.....I also don't have many name brand wrenches anymore either.....I'm too quick with grinders & the torch.

Actually, a little set of metric 1/4" thin walled deep & shallow Craftsman sockets w/many, many extensions has turned out to be the most useful tools in my posession. Unless I'm having to "reef" ******* something, the 1/4" metric sockets will work on many standard or metric, & in many tight places where 'ya have to have pencil sized 12" fingers feeling round in hidden, out of sight places that some engineer decided to design with a new idea.....:confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
HUH?I only use one wrench on all 3 bolts and I use the same wrench as you Mel.......I will have to post a picture of mine.....oh,DO NOT notch the big end and expect to break loose the lines.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Maybe this will work.Sorry for the blurry image.Hard to get my camera to auto focus on the thin Cross section of the wrench.You can see where I notched the neck to clean the lugs on the pump.This way I turn the passenger side till the wrench hits the water neck then when I go grab another time it is touching the pump just barely.Same on the drivers side.I do remove the FIS though.

Attachments

• wrench 001.jpg
    wrench 001.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 19
  • wrench 002.jpg
    wrench 002.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 14

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train- Thanks for the pics . Why the - "DO NOT notch the big end and expect to break loose the lines " - did it spread ? I have some flare nut wrenches for the lines but I am curious.

Last edited:

Freight_Train

Reaction score
hee hee hee,Ask whitehorse.....He busted is knuckles trying to break loose the lines with it Saturday when we swapped out his pump.Might be the craftsman or the amount I ground out but it spread just enough to slip.Might be cause it is a 12point and it doesn't take much movement to slip over the Corner.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys . I got the pump off using a ground down HF obstruction wrench amd a ground down 9/16 reg combination wrench . The pump was more difficult to get out though because the line seems to run into everything . I sure hope it goes back in more easily since I have done it once .