ip problems?

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
diesel down! what to do?

i recently replaced my ip with a reman from pencicola diesel. ran awesome pulled a heavy load a couple hundred miles and still was fine. drove to work the other day and everything was good i went to lunch and alll hell broke loose... my truck sounded like it was sooo advance it wasnt even funny but only under acceleration. at idle it sound normal. when i was on the freeway i goosed it and it wont get past 2600 rpm. what could the issues be? i have already check my down pipe and its tight. thanks for all help and info

Last edited:

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I would check the hold down nuts for the IP to make sure they haven't loosened up. Then the fuel and air filters to make sure they aren't clogged. Any black smoke under acceleration?

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
i did a quick check last night on the pump bolts just by trying to turn it by hand but it didnt move at all but i didnt put a wrench on the bolts to be for certain. and as for the black smoke... no there wasnt to to much but with this pump from day on there wasnt much smoke it is still in all of the stock parameters in which they gave me. the pump i had taken out i had it maxed out... and still wasnt too to much smoke... the truck has new delphi injectors in it also code g... and the turbo wastegate is bumped up as well to around 15 pounds but cant get even close to that not specially with this pump turned down like it is...

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if you cant turn the pump by hand, it may have slipped. Check and see if your marks are still lined up at all.
Also, is there a chance that the cold solenoid is stuck on?
I'm leaning towards bad pump, especially if you cant get over 2600rpm.
I went through hell with their pumps and ended up sending the last one I bought to Mel and had it baby moosed.

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
Even if you cant turn the pump by hand, it may have slipped. Check and see if your marks are still lined up at all.
Also, is there a chance that the cold solenoid is stuck on?
I'm leaning towards bad pump, especially if you cant get over 2600rpm.
I went through hell with their pumps and ended up sending the last one I bought to Mel and had it baby moosed.

when i looked at the pump last night it looked like it was in same spot that i had left it... as for the pump being bad would it run like it did at first i mean i have this pump in my truck for about 3 weeks now and have no isusses tell this happened... when we first put the pump in we actually hard to retard the timing from the original marks is this normal? or was this pump bad from day one?

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
p.s. idk if this makes a difference or helps at all its a 93 7.3 turbo

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I would guess that the pump was bad from day one. I got a pump from them that was bum right out of the box, and they sent me another as fast as they could. Swapped them and sent the old one back. I actually had to turn the fuel down on their pump by 2 flats to get the EGT's, and black smoke under control.

I remember Mel saying that they don't touch the timing advance part of the pump at all. So I would guess that the timing advance was stuck on when you got it, and i just turned off all of a sudden.

my .02

PZ

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
Well when we first put the pump in we tested the high idle and cold idle advanceand we were able to hear a difference are you talking about or is there another advance I'm not aware of? Is there any way that I could forsure pin point it to the pump?