IP change trouble

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
changed the ip on the truck earlier and have been having trouble getting the new pump primed. I have a good supply of fuel to the pump but not at the injectors. I have all lines open at the injectors and have been cranking wide open throttle. Drivers side bank is showing some fuel at the injectors but nothing to get excited about. Just enough to barely wet things down. Passenger side bank is showing nothing. FSS is getting power and I can hear it clicking when disconnected.

Ive been trying to get this thing primed for over 3 hours now. Starting to think the pump is shot!:confused:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How did you remove the other pump. Did you remove the gear cover of just the three nuts that hold the pump to the cover. As for priming the system it can take some effort to get it done. Tighten the lines down on the injectors and just crack open the line nuts. Very little fuel will ever be seen during cranking.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Got it running but its stumbling like crazy and billowing white smoke.

Could the timing being off cause this?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You bet the timing is way off retarded. Now please don't think I'm calling you out as retarded cause I'm not. White smoke and stumbling tells me you can advance the timing about two dimes thickness. Thats about 4 degrees. You really need to find a compendent shop to time the engine. Never allow a shop to time it by ear. If your paying good money for timing by ear please send me the money and I'll tell you your truck sounds great for my ears work.... Thats all a shop is doing for you... Plus robbing you of some cash. Only one member here has ever timed by ear and it happened only once but... Mel has timed probably 200+ engines for others in the last 10 years.... Thinking about it now I bet I'm really low on my estimate. He even tells us he got lucky with that engine...

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I was thinking it was retarded. Going to try and advance it a bit and see where that gets me.

I bought a ferret and advance timing light ahead of time for this job. Figure I need to get it running half way decent though before trying to dial it in.

Thanks for your help Gary!

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long have you run the new pump? It took several trips on the freeway to purge all the air from the fuel system.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Advanced the timing and it stopped the stumbling and smoke.

Tried dialing in the timing but could only get to 4 degrees. The high idle solenoid is hitting the upper water neck. Seems like it might be more advanced then 4 degrees though.

Need to get another timing light and verify mine is showing the right reading.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CDX,
I used a large cresent wrench to turn the pump when doing the timing. I got it started (this was after replacing the pump) and let it warm up for 10-15 minutes (until the thermostat opened) then started adjusting. I used the ferret with a timing light. I have since got a spanner from Terrapin for turning the pump next time.

Archie

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The high idle solenoid is hitting the upper water neck. Seems like it might be more advanced then 4 degrees though.

That's also about the point where the slot in the IP flange runs out of travel. Advanceing the pump further will not be possible.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You bet the timing is way off retarded. Now please don't think I'm calling you out as retarded cause I'm not. White smoke and stumbling tells me you can advance the timing about two dimes thickness. Thats about 4 degrees. You really need to find a compendent shop to time the engine. Never allow a shop to time it by ear. If your paying good money for timing by ear please send me the money and I'll tell you your truck sounds great for my ears work.... Thats all a shop is doing for you... Plus robbing you of some cash. Only one member here has ever timed by ear and it happened only once but... Mel has timed probably 200+ engines for others in the last 10 years.... Thinking about it now I bet I'm really low on my estimate. He even tells us he got lucky with that engine...

Been more than one, I timed mine by ear a year before I ever had a meter! Lucky, maybe, but I've timed probably 1000 engines in my life and Pete told me what it should sound like! That was god knows how many years ago and while I've checked the timing 100 times (testing meters and such), it's not been changed since! That being said, timing it with the proper equipment will be much easier! lol

I've always timed gassers with a meter and then adjusted them, I timed my 6.9 by ear and then played with it, but always found where I originally set it to be where it runs best, and that's where a meter says it should be (well about 1 degree advanced of what a meter says it should be).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like your pushing the pump too far over in the advance direction. Was this a rebuilt pump or a used spare pump you installed... If it was rebuilt who did you buy from.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
It was a used pump but supposedly less than a year old. I bought it off another member on the board. I'm not sure who the rebuilder was.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Staff online

Members online