IP advice from those who know...

01txdmax

Reaction score
Waiting, heck it'll be here tomorrow!! A Moose Jr. is on the way, I'll hopefully have time to put it on in the next few evenings.

Thank you Mel for pointing me in the right direction. Like the rumor says, the customer service from you and Suzi was top notch.

01txdmax

Reaction score
So here's the feedback:

The Moose Jr arrived well packaged and protected from Ace Ventura, UPS driver. The package a couple of pages of wisdom I may not have thought of on my own after a 10 hour day at work, so that was nice. Requisite stickers, return shipping label, invoice and packaging slips.

Installation: diesel, oil, wrenches, etc. I smiled, I wept, I bled. Took me about 5 hours total to do the pump and all of the return lines. That's not what this thread is about thought.

First start: After bleeding the pump to injector lines the truck fired up pretty quickly. Truck idled more smoothly than the unknown mileage IP that came off of it. Made about a ten mile trip around town and man what a difference. Throttle response is better, boost comes on much earlier, all in all the truck moves now like it never did before. It was dark, no idea about smoke or haze.

Second start: Started it this morning with no issue. I've seen it mentioned that sometimes air gets trapped in high spots in the fuel system, but I think I'm returning enough fuel with the Carter pump for it not to be an issue. Drove about 20 miles, no discernible haze and if I'm easy on the throttle there isn't much smoke to speak of. If I get it on it the truck will smoke and if I lug it hard it will smoke. Hit the highway and the I can now keep up with the ebb and flow of traffic speeds. It's nice to be able to get out of my own way now.

In conclusion I am happy with the pump. I still need to get it timed by someone who knows what they are doing (I'm checking out the registry after lunch) but it can only get better.

Thanks to Mel and Suzi for their help, I'm certain I'll be doing business with them again!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Happy to read your rig is running better than ever with the Moose pump. As for timing I suggest contacting Mel. You are in Pa as is Mel. Might be close enough to have him time the engine for you.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

I'm looking to replace the IP on my truck because the advance solenoid(is this the right name, it's aft on top) is shorted, it hazes pretty badly at 65 aaand I have no idea how many miles are on it.

So heres the dilemma: to Moose Jr or replace with a stock rebuild turned up a couple of flats.

I don't pull heavy anymore so the truck is more of a daily driver/trip to the hardware store go getter. I know I'd like the power but don't want a smokey truck.

I have heard that Mel's reputation is second to none and his products speak for themselves.

The question is if the Jr will give me the little extra power with out a ton of smoke? I get the off idle stuff, that is what it is. It's the highway speed haze I would like to do without.

Thoughts or opinions?[/QUOTE

Glad you are enjoying it. Once you get the timing set and are not super overfueld, you shouldn't get any haze on the highway, especially since you have a turbo.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these pumps.....;Sweet
mines a ********* freight train, but she moves at twice the speed as one...
im not the rolling coal "type", but the get up and go, lead me to smoking.
Edit: after i was finished being retarded... literally.

01txdmax

Reaction score
Agreed!

IDIoit - I was reading your timing post earlier today, it's amazing how one small piece of information can change everything. I've never been staring at a project when my wife walks out and points out what is upside down...

I am certainly pleased with it. I don't miss my Duramax anymore..... :sly

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sometimes all it takes is a fresh pair of eyes.
i laughed my ass off when the issue was brought to light.
i felt like a moron, but hay, i learned a valuable lesson!
i hope other people did too!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Brian as many engines and timing talks as I have had yours is the one that got me to wondering the most. Its the little simple things that finally shines the brightest telling you whats going on. the the fix is easy.