Introducing TOTAL MOOSEPOWER!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have to look. I'm not sure honestly, but it obviously went motor freight.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Can you explain in more detail the issues with 7.3 rockers vs 6.9 rockers? I was under the impression the aluminum pivot/bridges on the 6.9 setup wear rapidly, hence the change to a standard cheapy pedestal rocker with steel pivot. Is this issue overstated?

I have a 6.9 and parted out a 7.3, kept the rockers among a few other bits. I intend to swap the 7.3 rockers on when it's convenient to do so. Should I not do this if upon inspection my 6.9 rockers and pivots show minimal wear? I'd like to know the reasoning and best course of action. I believe IDIOIT was the one who got roller rockers made but did not use them as there were a few issues with how they were made, forget exactly why. I know these engines wear valve guides but I don't see how aluminum vs steel pivot would have any effect on that as sideways/sliding friction on the valve tip isn't affected by pivot material or construction, only tip construction.

Also are there geometry issues with any of the factory rockers? Should these be checked for valve tip contact pattern? Never done that on a non roller rocker. I have checked and adjusted preload with shims though, should that be done with these on a stock cam given 100k-200k miles? Or would any significant variance indicate lifter wear/replacement rather than adjusting preload at rocker?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
So what do you think the availability of van engines might be...? So glad you have a complete setup now!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Only differences are the oil cooler and exhaust manifolds. Well timing adapter, engine mounts, and fuel filter mount if you wanna get technical.
So basically I'm saying it's the same, just gotta swap a few little pieces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Only differences are the oil cooler and exhaust manifolds. Well timing adapter, engine mounts, and fuel filter mount if you wanna get technical.
So basically I'm saying it's the same, just gotta swap a few little pieces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The differences are small but not unimportant... The oil cooler headers are and passages on the blick are different and i dont think the f series one would clear everything properly even if the headers somehow did fit, also i wouldnt know how to make custom engine mounts, so those are important too...

Maybe i can just ship my engine to mel to redo. Its not daily driver anymore so can sit for six months no problem...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ping on this. Yes, we have two that are sold. One is in my bay right now waiting on payment, so not a lot of movement. Let's face it, the IDI community is a frugal one. While young 20 somethings with Dodge's will spend $10,000 for a few upgrades and another 100hp, getting the IDI guys to want to do that is a whole different ballgame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance