Interntional bulletin on ELC

pafixitman

Reaction score
Sorry Warden I did not pay that much attention to it 'cuz of my distaste of Dexcool. Funny thing is when I changed the water pump in the Venture minivan last week, I put Dexcool back in! Most of GMs problem revolved around Dexcool and the 4.3 V6. Coincidence?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
From bits and pieces that I have gatherd from real world exposures, Dexcool
wich is almost Gatorade orange in color has the least tolerance for residual water be it left over from flushing or top off.

The resulting silt :puke: {the best analogy I have heard} reaks havock even in the aluminum systems it was designed for.
Dexcool is "OAT" based

Rotella and CAT ELC coolants are "berry kool aid" in color and were designed FOR diesels and have better tolerances in place to combat the occasional
oxygen carrying liquid added.

I am TRYING to locate some tech info over at TDS :rolleyes: -cuss to post here....what I had stored on my old harddrive but was lost when the old system
crapped the bed.

There is some eye opening info with special regards to Dexcool :puke:

Not really a poll so to speak but other than hearsay and scare tactics from
some members{TDS}, who has had or seen FIRST HAND damage from using ELC coolants {diesel rated}???????????????

Not unlike the mechanical fuel pump diaphram failing and filling the base with diesel fuel ;Really :D

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
Not really a poll so to speak but other than hearsay and scare tactics from
some members{TDS}, who has had or seen FIRST HAND damage from using ELC coolants {diesel rated}???????????????
Maybe there are others on the dark side boards, but the only IDI guy I know who was militant against ELC was Paul (Snotzalot). But, he was also convinced that our IDI's needed a regular dose of Bar's Stop-Leak, without even draining the cooling system afterwards...I'd hate to be the one to take apart the cooling system on his E-series!! After seeing that, I stopped reading his posts...

George, Joe, et. al....if searching TDS, look for Dave Haven. He may be a bit biased towards Cat (he has a 3208 in a '70's F-350 as well as his IDI), but he's really well-read on ELC...in fact, he was the final impetus that led me to make the switch...

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Frank, that is exactly the same color, and in the same place as my crud was!

Mike, that IS the recommended coolant. Green with SCA's.

Right-on. That's what I thought.

I'd considered the ELC awhile back, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I figured with my old truck it'd be better to stick with the less expensive cooland and change it relatively often.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
Sorry Warden I did not pay that much attention to it 'cuz of my distaste of Dexcool. Funny thing is when I changed the water pump in the Venture minivan last week, I put Dexcool back in! Most of GMs problem revolved around Dexcool and the 4.3 V6. Coincidence?

Is Dexcool that red stuff GM uses?

My wife's truck uses it... and is a 4.3 V-6. I want get rid of that coolant and put green stuff in her truck.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Maybe there are others on the dark side boards, but the only IDI guy I know who was militant against ELC was Paul (Snotzalot). But, he was also convinced that our IDI's needed a regular dose of Bar's Stop-Leak, without even draining the cooling system afterwards...I'd hate to be the one to take apart the cooling system on his E-series!! After seeing that, I stopped reading his posts...

George, Joe, et. al....if searching TDS, look for Dave Haven. He may be a bit biased towards Cat (he has a 3208 in a '70's F-350 as well as his IDI), but he's really well-read on ELC...in fact, he was the final impetus that led me to make the switch...

Yea, Paul even had an "NO ELC" avatar LOL

Tim, if you might remember Dave and I were one of the first to use ELC.....
even had......."ELC coolant-AIN'T SKEERED"- in our sigs ;Sweet :D :D

Only diff being I uesd Rotella and he used CAT

Any of you TDS refugees :D recall a member named "carpentractor"?

He had some good stuffs{tech} on ELC

pafixitman

Reaction score
Mike,
George pegged it. Dexcool is Gatorade orange in color. The Venture did not have the silt (another great description from Redneckville) that the S10 had. I put in Zerex made by Valvoline. The best protection (per the bottle) was a 3 to 1 ratio (75% coolant 25% water).

My S10 silted up bad and GM claimed I overheated the motor. The silt clogged the t-stat. All total I had a chemical flush, new heater core, new water pump, 2 t-stats, heater hose, upper/lower rad hoses. I traded the S10 on the IDI about 2 months after joining the class action suit. Never looked back...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
Any of you TDS refugees :D recall a member named "carpentractor"?
Oh yes I remember him well.....his selective moderation about "proper language" on a "family site" soured me permanently on STD.....funny...it was around the time JL was passing around the donation plate right before he went "bigtime".....I've even went as far as asking him why I was "moderated" and others in the same thread wasn't. SOP......no reply. That's ok...JL doesn't get my hard earned money as a result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online