Interior factory firewall sound deadener

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So with the rats having been in this truck and there still being an odor my assumption is that this factory sound deadener may have been pissed on..

I was going to pull it and run dynamat but noticed that the factory stuff is thicker and has molded contours for hvac etc. Anybody replaced this with some thing worth while?

Attachments

• 20210926_172259.jpg
    20210926_172259.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 20

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm getting closer to replacing this with Dynamat in my 87 too. I don't know how well it will work, but it has two advantages. 1) it's better than nothing. 2) it won't smell like rodent mess. I do believe that the Dynamat is as good or better than this stuff that the factory put in. It's more advanced technology than was used in 1987.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm getting closer to replacing this with Dynamat in my 87 too. I don't know how well it will work, but it has two advantages. 1) it's better than nothing. 2) it won't smell like rodent mess. I do believe that the Dynamat is as good or better than this stuff that the factory put in. It's more advanced technology than was used in 1987.
I also forgot to mention that my insulation was so rotten that it practically fell apart when I tied to pull it loose. It may have been the age, mouse *****, the fact that it had been getting wet, or all three. I just threw it away after I got it free.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing about Dyna-Mat is it sticks to the metal, then no way the critters can get behind it. You use a small roller to roll it into the contours of the Floor, Firewall etc...

I just pulled the Seats, Carpet out of my 85 extended cab.
I was looking up under the Dash and see the factory insulation which sits a bit loose from the FW. I was thinking of removing what I can get to and Dyna-Mat it.

Iam gong to do the whole floor and the back of the cab and side walls. I just ordered this one from E-bay, cheapest one of this stock#, but after tx is $171.
This thing should be as quite as a Rolly-Royce. ;Sweet

Iam in the process of taking the tar mat the factory placed in the foot wells and under the seats. Iam using an air chisle from HF, makes quick work of it.

Goat

Black dawg

Reaction score
The thing with dynamat vs that stuff is that they serve different purposes in "sound deadening".

I dont think dynamat by itself will be as good as that stuff as blocking diesel noise.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one deterrent for me is the fact that the factory stuff builds a firmness for the hvac to sit against. By removing the "in between" i fear it may fit more loose..

Its crazy to me that no one re manufactures this stuff. Am i wrong?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The one deterrent for me is the fact that the factory stuff builds a firmness for the hvac to sit against. By removing the "in between" i fear it may fit more loose..

Its crazy to me that no one re manufactures this stuff. Am i wrong?
You could cut out the "in between pieces and reuse them for the HVAC. That did occur to me, but mine was so far gone that I didn't think about it very long. No I don't think you're wrong to feel that some should be remaking this stuff.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I used some of the Amazon Basics sound deadener. It’s a knock off of the Dynamat. It worked really well. $60 got me enough to do both doors, the Ext cab, and the back of the cab. Plus I should still have enough to do the roof when I’m ready to redo the headliner.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
darnit! i just ordered dynamat lol Thank you though! i will use it to do the other areas!

vr1967

Reaction score
In addition to dynamat type materials, I use a layer of mass loaded vinyl (mlv) and closed cell foam (ccf) for sound deadening

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered dynaliner at .5 inch. This will be for behind the air. Other areas I'll fill in with the xtreme.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck will have 2 kits of xtreme and 1 unit of dynaliner on the firewall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online