Intercooled, now having heat issues

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing that would make the heater circuit the only source for coolant recirc with the thermostat closed. Not sure if I'd like that. The water pump, even though it isn't positive displacement, can create some good head pressure internal to the engine. That pressure would only get bigger if you're using a ranger bypass valve in your heater hoses.

By design, the thermostat should plug that hole nearly off when the thermostat is open.

Can't really argue with your results though.

The issue is our thermostats delay opening ( our thermostats essentially have wax pellet that expands when heated to a certain temp and opens the thermostat ) when water is boiling aka steam and you got seconds for the thermostat to open ( which it can't do so fast enough because steam expands so fast compared to water and forces it directly into water pump thru the bypass behind thermostat before thermostat can react ) causing it to become a steam generator that will steam lock the entire cooling system ( water pump first because the steam will go thru the hole behind thermostat first steam locking the water pump) before the thermostat can open my mod alleviates this risk and makes sure the steam locking the water pump would take longer meaning thermostat has more time to open and react before thermal run away occurs allowing for coolant flow to return once thermostat does open in a steam lock situation with the hole behind the thermostat unplugged this will not happen it will steam lock the water pump causing a full thermal runaway and steam generator mode.

The heater circuit works as a bypass but again its running thru the heater core even with the blower off and not in heating mode this allows a substantial temperature drop across the inlet and exit lines of the heater core and also gives the thermostat time to react before steam locking the water pump occurs and again keeps the coolant flowing back into the water pump to not be near the edge of boiling and allowing for a cooler water pump inlet coolant temp meaning a cooler running motor and a lower oil temp because the coolant going into water pump inlet is cooler.

Keep in mind there is a bypass built into the thermostat housing believe is like a 3/8 hole from thermostat mount jacket to the housing and into upper radiator hose that allows for any air to bypass to rad and my mod i have used on like 15 motors so far not 1 issue and only benefits yes when thermostat is open it will close the hole behind it the problem is if you overheat or boil your coolant the thermostat wont open till to late and before it does it will steam lock the pump along with fill the heads with steam and the pump is not designed to move steam LOL so until you shut it off and let it settle aka water fill the block and pump you remain steam locked in the motor and until cools off it will continue making steam and perpetuating the problem.

The water pump will have a reverse pressure on it from the steam expansion ( 1 ounce of water can make enough steam to steam lock the entire engine and cooling system if flashed to steam rapidly ) stopping it from picking up water and upper and lower radiator hoses would have pressure in opposite intended direction due to steam expansion also because the engine turns into a steam generator. This means a cooked motor if you do not shut it down fast and i mean fast no coolant flow in thermal run away ( AKA steam generator mode ) is no joke good way to have pistons swell we have cast pistons they swell alot when hot in the bore and essentially try to lock up the motor and make inner rods make holes in your block and make a wild escape.

I want to also say shutting it down can also be a bad thing as this can warp cylinders due to uneven cooling when the coolant flows back in replacing the steam and often will pop a headgasket and warp a cylinder bore to a egg shape and that means essentially a ruined motor because now you got really bad cylinder seal ( till you bore the motor and replace with oversized pistons and rings ) along with crazy blowby and eventual busted piston rings from the uneven tension on the piston rings.

This is why i mentioned this mod as it removes alot of the risk of a overheat / thermal runaway and becoming a steam generator and helps keep your cooling system in check temp wise and oil temps down better due to cooler inlet coolant temp flowing thru oil cooler and motor itself instead of scavenging already nearly boiling coolant and running it thru the system or in a overheat boiling situation steam locking the water pump ( same applies to the heater core as a recirc but it will be delayed giving the thermostat time to react and open before you run into steam locking the water pump ) and causing all the water in the block / heads to flash to steam immediately causing all kinds of problems this is why plugging the port behind the thermostat that is a bypass directly to the water pump i feel is critical just make sure to put the freeze plug in correctly and as far back in the port as you can so the thermostat can fully open still.

Last edited: