Intake options for a Banks non waste gated turbo

randomguy

Reaction score
First post here, but I spend a lot of time browsing. This place is awesome, I really appreciate all the info available.

My truck is an 86 F250 6.9L with the non waste gated Banks turbo. I have the Banks aluminum air box from hell mounted on my truck now... with a cone filter strapped to the air inlet since I couldn't find the Banks application filter and the old filter was done for(probably original to the kit install in 1990).

I want to keep my turbo setup the way it is, not the most powerful but it works for my uses. Is my only option to cut down the Banks box? Is there anything I can use that'll bolt on and allow me to keep my turbo mounted where it is and won't require any fab work? All I have is a sawzall, angle grinder, and dremel. Just enough tools to make me dangerous :eek:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The short answer is yes. We can modify the intake to accept another filter but.. I have not seen or done it. Others have so hang around and someone can help you. Might try sending a pm to typ4 aka Russ. He is located in Oregon and has done plenty of work for other members here with turbo rebuilds and other issues. I do know what black box from hell is a tuff mess to get off or on too.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this to my 86 but mine has the two piece banks setup where the intake hat and the air cleaner box are separate. I used whatever size pipe that the inlet hole is on the turbo and mounted the cdr valve to the pipe. The cone filter I used, ended up next to the a/c compressor.

randomguy

Reaction score
Mine is the one piece box unfortunately. I don't think typ4's hat will work since it's for intercooler applications.

Anyone ever use hypermax's hat? Look like it may fit.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4" is the filter size that fits on the banks box, but if you want to improve on it find an ATS intake snail or make one. I have a few threads about all this somewhere.

The ATS hat uses 2" outer diameter piping, in my case I had to adapt it to fit by cutting a 2" aluminum pipe at a 45° angle so that I could flip both halves and make a 90 bend. Weld it and then get a silicon reducer. I want to say the turbo output is 2.5" or at least 2.25" but I honestly dont remember right now. Probably 2.5. Doing it this way also made it easy to add a boost gauge since the ATS hat had a port for that. I reused the rubber boot from the filter/intake side and stretched it onto a 4" intake pipe with a leg welded on - the leg supports the filter/pipe and keeps it above the fuel lines. Bolts into the intake manifold near the IP. The filter is ahead of the engine in this way, not much hot air there but many people will try and tell you differently.

Swapping from the banks box to the custom improved EGTs and spooling, i could hear the turbo much better too

vbpgimage.php

This was before I got finished but you get the idea ;Sweet

This was before the conversion using a Spectre? filter in place of the crappy k&n filter that was nearly impossible to source
vbpgimage.php

randomguy

Reaction score
Not much luck finding an ats hat. Hypermax sells theirs separately for $131, might have to just order one and see.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you do that, maybe take a look at R&D intake manifolds, not much more in costs an eliminates an extra gasket that could leak. Plus if you ever add an intercooler you'd be set.

Adapting it might take a little more work unless you can cut the 45 off to make it straight or something else. No matter what it wouldn't be that much work.
http://idiperformance.com/

Last edited:

randomguy

Reaction score
That is an interesting option, but I'm having a little trouble thinking of a way to make it work. Sure would be awesome to eliminate the hat. I don't know if I'll ever need an intercooler though.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He could probably do a straight up-pipe or turned the other way.

Siliconeintakes.com has a ton of aluminum pipe and silicone, im sure you could make it work pretty easy. Or you could make your own intake hat, our intakes are the same size as some carburetors so a thick aluminum carb cover could be adapted or maybe a cold air intake.
Just food for thought

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Staff online

Members online