Installing rings on pistons

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first diesel engine to assemble, many gas, so many things seem different. Ring end gap and type of oil ring ( gas had two thin and one spacer). Checked end gap and they are okay. Top .014, second .060 and oil ring at .010. Second compression ring gap is okay by books( gasser was a lot less). Main question- Is there any best way to get oil rings on pistons, rings have coil springs that go inside of rings. I know coil springs have to be inside when installing.I do not have a spreader but will get one if that is safest way. I have about 3 grand in engine and DO NOT want to screw anything up.
Punkmechanic has really helped me by loaning me his shop manuals but they don't show everything. He lives about 30 miles away so he can't run over to hold my hand all the time.
I know I can get correct answers from the many gearheads on here. SO THANKS AHEAD OF TIME for any help.
Herb Gunn

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
do not try to install rings without a proper ring expander and then only open them just enough to clear the piston . The type shown here ( click on the price for a picture )is the best

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANKS for reply

I use to just spread and walk rings on gasser pistons and never worried. With the coil spring inside, I needed to double check. Also instructions with rings(perfect circle) said to install second with mark towards top. They have a dot so that should be up? I am 70 and my short term memory is getting bad,so I like to have all answers on paper. So when I can't find the exact answer in a book, I ask. Sometimes they seem like stupid questions but I want this engine to go together right the first time.

Another question, I got the cam from Russ (already in) and was planning on using old lifters as they seem to be in good shape I miked them and they checked out. If I should use new ones, it will have to wait till I can afford them.The 2 grand machining bill last Sept. stopped me until now. But it is not going back into the truck until it is done right.

Thanks Again

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yes the dot is the mark and should go up.
Don't worry about it, The only stupid question is the one not asked ;Sweet
I've probably forgotten more about wrenching than most of the young guys will ever know, yet sometimes , even the real pups end up coming to my rescue :hail
THose roller lifters should be good to go. About the only reason I would replace them is there is signs of damage or if you have teh really early ones that have bushings in them instead of roller bearings. If I recall the roller bearing ones have a smaller pin in the middle.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Installing rings

I hope that big machining bill got you a balanced rotating mass in the bargain. Money well spent, even in these low rpm (for most of us, anyway) engines.

I used the ring expanders for some of my ring installation, but they are a pain to use, so I went back to the old way (put one end in the groove backwards and spin it onto the piston) with no ill effects. I don't remember the oil rings being any problem. If you are nervous at all, use the ring expander and take your time.

Congratulations on bringing an engine back to life! the first time you hear it cackle to life, all the money spent will be well worth it.

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Money well spent

It is balance from front hub to and including pressure plate. Equal height on piston to deck , the whole nine yards. This will be my last engine rebuild so I trying to make it be the best. I wanted a moose pump but wife had other plans for my last money stash. It is still going to happen but will just take longer. I am hoping to be pulling my 34' fifth by middle of summer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle