6.9 IDI Piston Ring Source

Mailbox

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find piston rings for an '85 6.9 IDI? The only ones I can find are the Sealed Power E447K. I have ordered two sets of these now and both were the wrong size. It looks to me like the manufacturer has a quality control problem. I would rather not spend the next several months ordering and returning them in hopes of getting a good set. I would much prefer a file-to-fit set. Any leads would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Someone will probably think I am stupid and don't know how to gap rings. In order to forestall questions and because there is a distinct possibility that someone could be right, here are the numbers and procedure:
Book gaps
1st ring: .014-.024
2nd ring: .060-.070
Oil ring: .010-.024

1st set gaps
1st ring: .090
2nd ring: .024
Oil ring: in spec

2nd set gaps
1st ring: .072
2nd ring: .030
Oil ring: .024

All rings were measured in the same spot in the same cylinder. Two of each ring from each set were measured. 1st ring was the shiny one with the bevel on the inner edge. 2nd ring was the square cast iron looking one.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be completely honest. I didn’t measure my ring gap when I put them in. Blowby isn’t an issue so they must’ve been close to right. I got mine from Hastings.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be completely honest. I didn’t measure my ring gap when I put them in. Blowby isn’t an issue so they must’ve been close to right. I got mine from Hastings.
I did the exact same, and I have little to no blow by. From my experience Hastings makes pretty good rings as far as fit and quality goes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7