installing brake controller

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to install a brake controler in my 93 f250 today, Is there a plug for it or do I have to manually wire it in? Any help would be helpful

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 to 2003 Tekonsha 3035P control harness for the F series. Not sure about the 93's. I'm thinking they started in late 93, look up under dash about in the center, see if there is a 6 pin connector there. Was in the RV service, but that's too far back too remember.

Give an RV dealer a call, they carry the pluggins.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you have the tow package , it will have the plug under the dash, unfortunately for that year, it may be like my 92 and have a 4 pin plug( for some reason all the catalogs are wrong and show a 6 pin for the 92) in which case your options are to get a 4 pin universal harness and splice it in , or like I did, get a manufacturer specific( in my case it was a Tekonsha for a Prodigy ) and then take the plug apart and cut off the 2 extra holes on it and re set the wires to match your plug on the truck. All still easier than wiring from scratch. If no tow package then you will have to follow the brake controller instructions for wiring up from scratch.

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay I got my controller out from my chevy and it has 4 wires, I found a 4 plug wire under the dash that is kind of in the center where nothing was plugged in, is that what I am looking for?

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
That sounds right. I just did this on my 93, except the PO decided to hack out the connector...

PZ

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, but I have the same question about my 94 factory turbo truck. I am picking up a car trailer today and the guy is giving me a brake box/controller with it. I want to know if my truck should have a plug that I can plug the box into or do I need to splice into some wires? Thanks for any help.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suspect that you would have the plug under the dash to facilitate a controller connection.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are different ones for the Ford, Chevy and Dodge, yours from the Chevy may not work, pinning may be different. That one from Amazon is correct for Ford, cut the flat connector off if it don't plug into your controller and just splice in the wires. White - Grd. Blue - Trl. Brakes Black - B+ Red -Brake signal

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are different ones for the Ford, Chevy and Dodge, yours from the Chevy may not work, pinning may be different. That one from Amazon is correct for Ford, cut the flat connector off if it don't plug into your controller and just splice in the wires. White - Grd. Blue - Trl. Brakes Black - B+ Red -Brake signal

shouldn't the wires on the harness already be correct? I don't understand the point of cutting off the flat connector unless you are saying it will not be wired properly if I do plug it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online