Install 94 turbo engine in chassis w turbo mounted on engine?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I'm about ready to drop the engine back in the 94 F250 Factory Turbo IDI.

Has anyone had good luck dropping it in with the turbo installed on the engine?

SOOO much easier to install turbo on the stand..........

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
alot easier.
but unless you want to damage the turbo, i say take it off.

the best way to install the turbo during a swap like this is...
to install the engine, before you install the transmission, a floor jack on the oil pan to raise it up.
the turbo will slide right into place.
with your up pipe casting bolted to the turbo, its only a 2 bolt operation.
its not that hard.

ive also found its alot easier to install the turbo when a engine and trans is installed if you pull the IP and injection lines.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
All three times I've pulled and reinstalled my engine was with the turbo on. The thing is, my slip joint for the up pipes is solidly rusted together so I pretty much had no choice the first time and I've just repeated it the 2 times after. So when my turbo is on it's the whole thing down to the collector Y on the back of the engine. It is very snug. It is not easy. Having a way to tilt the front of the engine up to sneak the turbo under the cowl and then kinda roll the whole thing back is what you need to do. Did I mention it is tight? Last time I did it, I left the 2 pedestal bolts loose so I could move the turbo slightly and that seemed to help.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
snap. missed the whole OBS thing....
im speaking from Brick nose experience.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clip off? if so undo the cab front mounts lift it a bit, goes right in.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually fellas, if this is the swap I am thinking it is, he is dropping this engine in a Bullnose........ so I think it will be more "Brick Like" of an installation vs "OBS Like"

He posted a few weeks ago about a 6.9 in a friends Bullnose that died, and they have this IDIT available to drop in......... so I am thinking Bull, not OBS.......

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Well I have pulled the whole shebang out in one shot. It was real tight between the pan and turbo on the cowl but it worked. That's with an 093 turbo system.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Actually fellas, if this is the swap I am thinking it is, he is dropping this engine in a Bullnose........ so I think it will be more "Brick Like" of an installation vs "OBS Like"

He posted a few weeks ago about a 6.9 in a friends Bullnose that died, and they have this IDIT available to drop in......... so I am thinking Bull, not OBS.......

Actually Snicklas it is the other way around I've dressed the old 85 6.9 in 7.3IDIT accessories and turbo kit. We are dropping it back into the 94 OBS.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
All three times I've pulled and reinstalled my engine was with the turbo on. The thing is, my slip joint for the up pipes is solidly rusted together so I pretty much had no choice the first time and I've just repeated it the 2 times after. So when my turbo is on it's the whole thing down to the collector Y on the back of the engine. It is very snug. It is not easy. Having a way to tilt the front of the engine up to sneak the turbo under the cowl and then kinda roll the whole thing back is what you need to do. Did I mention it is tight? Last time I did it, I left the 2 pedestal bolts loose so I could move the turbo slightly and that seemed to help.

Based on this I'm installing the turbo before dropping it in.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Well I have pulled the whole shebang out in one shot. It was real tight between the pan and turbo on the cowl but it worked. That's with an 093 turbo system.

While helpful, your experience (based on your photos) doesn't completely apply to my situation since the clip is on, and the trans is still in the truck on my project. However the fact the turbo cleared the cowl is good info.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Gotcha, we'll you didn't specify so I was not sure. I know I could not have done everything with the front clip on. Engine and turbo. ..maybe. removing the front clip makes things much easier though.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score

While helpful, your experience (based on your photos) doesn't completely apply to my situation since the clip is on, and the trans is still in the truck on my project. However the fact the turbo cleared the cowl is good info.