instaling new camper shell

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to install a new camper shell. Any reason why using just regular bolts and nuts to secure it to the bed wont work??? I was going to just drill thru the shell rails into and thru the bed rails. I'm thinking of just getting some weather stripping from Home depot or Lowes for under the shell rails and above the bed rails. anyone have better ideas?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
They make clamps to hold them down. Just a special "C" type clamp. I use 4 when I put mine on. Bit nothing wrong with using bolts, if you don't mind the holes in your bed rails.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the clamps. I thought the special ones were overpriced and bought 6" c clamps. The weatherstripping provides enough friction that the top won't go anywhere. I also prefer to stick the weatherstripping to the camper and not the truck. It looks a heckuva lot better if you ever decide to take it off.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well bolt holes dont matter a whole lot. I plan the shell being on for quite a while. Living in a rainy state, I go fishing and camping often. would more but I don't have dry place to sleep, and hotel at the coast for 2 day crabbing trip adds to the cost. Not much for the C-clamp look. thanks I have that now. I have 3 holding it now, thats how I got it home. Oh there is felt on the inside of the canopy that will hide the bolt heads.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
X2 on the clamps. I thought the special ones were overpriced and bought 6" c clamps. The weatherstripping provides enough friction that the top won't go anywhere. I also prefer to stick the weatherstripping to the camper and not the truck. It looks a heckuva lot better if you ever decide to take it off.

Same here. I don't like holes in the bed rails, rust and all. I had the aluminum C clamps and my dad has some of them. Never had any problems. Put the weather stripping on the canopy. You don't want it stuck to the bed rails. There is some good stuff out there that you can put on while the canopy is on some saw horses.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
C-Clamps held me shell on for 11 years. The shell eventually got beat up and worn out(unrelated to the clamps), and everytime i went around a turn, the shell swayed so bad i thought it would fall off. Well, came time that I needed to use the bed without the shell, so I went to throw the POS away, and the clamps were rusted/frozen on. It took me 20 minutes with a metal pipe and a hammer to get them off.

I think they'll hold it.....

I just wish I hadn't switched for a ladder rack now. That thing makes a LOT of noise at highway speeds.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently the clamps hold well (as stated above), but it seems to me like they could loosen or back off with vibration, etc. I drilled holes (4) and used eye bolts with washers, lock washers and nuts. That way I have something to tie down to when needed.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Apparently the clamps hold well (as stated above), but it seems to me like they could loosen or back off with vibration, etc. I drilled holes (4) and used eye bolts with washers, lock washers and nuts. That way I have something to tie down to when needed.

I replaced the standard bolts on my clamps with eye bolts and jam nuts. So I have the best of both worlds with out drilling any extra holes. ;Sweet