1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inner fenders

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Ilovelamp, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Ilovelamp

Ilovelamp Full Access Member

I bought some inner fenders off eBay and they are super thin and cheesy and floppy. They're also super slick and I can't really coat them with sanding them and they're so thin, I would probably sand through them... does anyone know how stiff the factory ones are? I'm thinking maybe I should just go get some from the junkyard and paint them or raptor line them or something.

2. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Front inner fenders? They're like 1/8 thick or better.

I'd get junkyard ones, but be prepared for rusty stripped/broken screws. Might be better off down your way where there's significantly less salt spray lol.

3. Exhumis

Exhumis Full Access Member

^^^^^this. Those mojos are thicc. I just pulled my passenger side one. Also, the Rusty screws is very accurate. I'd bring a cut off tool. My fronts were completely rusted to the core support, had to cut them off.

Ilovelamp likes this.
  4. Ilovelamp

I'm in the process of moving but as soon as possible I gotta get some

5. Ilovelamp

Can anyone confirm what years and engine combos have the same inner fender? Do I need to find another idi truck? Headed to the junkyard

6. Ilovelamp

Whoa, everybody slow down with the responses. I found an idi truck.

7. reset2

reset2 Full Access Member

Hey partner. I realize everyone has a personal emergency (even I do sometimes) and others are busy so time will lapse for responses. I just now saw your post. My liners are rather thick.
    Learned long ago factory anything is better than knockoffs. You will learn also.

I too would like to pick Oil members minds. I have to replace the right side (tire blowout) and have a gasser for parts. Are they the same compared to a IDI?

Ilovelamp likes this.
  8. Ilovelamp

Yea man, I'm not sure on the gassers, I have a local diesel junkyard. He had 3 idi front caps laying there. the aftermarkets came rolled up in a ball in a small box. The factory ones I got barely flex, they're nice. I can go there and pull one for you but theyre large, I bet the shipping would be high

chillman88 likes this.
  9. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

The ones on the 94 460 I just tore apart visually look similar to the ones on my bricknose IDI trucks. That said, I didn't really compare them close.

I can't see why they would be different within the same body style, honestly wouldn't be surprised if they interchange from 87-96 since the wheel wells are the same.

10. ifrythings

ifrythings Full Access Member

From what I could tell doing my swap a few years back they are the same gas/diesel but they do change generation wise. My 87 ones wouldn’t fit properly on the 95.

chillman88 likes this.
  11. reset2

reset2 Full Access Member

I will give an update on gaser to IDI when I get around to swapping mine, but thats not on the top of the list now.

chillman88 likes this.