Injector questions

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
How long do these buggers last? My 1998 g3500 has 244000 on it with stock injectors still. Runs great, smokes a little on start up and hazes a little when driving.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rule of thumb is the spray pattern is just a *** stream by the time you get to 100K miles and pop pressure is low.

The only time this is a real issue is when it gets worked hard with high egt's. The *** stream can burn a hole in a piston FAST.

Smoke on start up is generally fuel sitting on the piston that leaked out of a bad injector.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
like i said, she runs great, gets 10-12 mpg( remember, schoolbus. areodynamics of a barn) and never let me down yet. pump only has 25000 on it. brand new grey pmd.

got a price from mel for injectors. thanks.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 2 trucks with high mile injectors that run great but after putting in reman 2300psi injectors in my 95 I can honestly say it makes a difference. Gained 2mpg and no smoke at start up (only small quick puff). I have reman marine 2300psi injectors for my 93 waiting to go in.

I have not done any business with mel but please post back any results you have from his injectors. My 95 has 60K on its new set and I am getting some smoke on start up again, might be a weak IP since it has 278K on it. Just starting to question the quality of work done by the last outfit that I bought from. My 93's are custom built by a friend so they dont apply.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Marine injectors are a gimmick, just get Bosch, Delphi etc.

The "marine" nozzle is a bosch part with a bosch part number. I dont have any experience with them, but if they are a "bigger" injector, they should flow fuel faster. In theory this should net higher combustion efficiency at high fuel rates.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like with the 6.9 and 7.3L, the 6.2/6.5 injectors have a recommended change interval by the "experts". 75-100K miles is the normal recommendation.

Marine injectors are not a gimick, most people just dont flow enough fuel to utilize the increased flow. You need to be pushing 120cc and most are only running ~90cc tops, myself included.

Rebuilt Bosh or delphi bodies is the way to go. New injectors are made in india not germany.